The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a store that would have some in SE MN? I need about 200 lbs of aragonite sand plus about 75-100 lbs of crushed coral or shell substrate for setting up a jawfish-friendly DSB in my 125 gallon.

The cost is high enough to get it shipped from aquarium stores that my wife is asking why we don't just use silica... I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I believe there are places that carry kolorscape sand by old castle, which is basically the same as southdown. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in. I have a bunch of used southdown in buckets in my garage, but it would need to be cured again.

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information.

I already have two buckets of sand that needs to be re-cured. If you want to get rid of some more sand, let me know. If I'm already doing it, no harm in doing more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought some of the Kolorscape sand and it ended up being silica sand. It had a significantly larger particle size and didn't bubble much in vinegar. I still have three bags sitting in the garage waiting for a project.......

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and didn't bubble much in vinegar.
I don't believe pure silica would bubble at all in vinegar. I'll test some of my neighbor's sandbox sand for comparison. Perhaps the sand is calcite instead of aragonite.

Either way, the Rochester Home Depot doesn't carry it, and is not generally too on top of things if you ask them to do something special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts