The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am begining a new tank and I want to go from crush coral to live sand. Can anyone suggest a good loacation to get some? Either locally or over the net is fine with me. I have a 72 gal and i am looking for sand. Also i am open to other sustrates as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
While not my first choice due to cost, I'll throw in a reply: PetCo sells LS in bags for about $40 ...you'd need quite a few bags for a 72G tank. The one on hwy 124 had about 4 bags yesterday.

I started with dry sand and my sandbed is slowly coming to life... or are you definitely going with LS from the start?

·
Registered
418 Posts
While i cant suggest a place that sells it other than Pisces Pets in Jonesboro, I will share this. I was TERRIBLY disappointed when the bags of live sand didnt actually have any visible critters in it. It did have, supposedly, live bacteria and microscopic stuff. All the visable life that made its way into my sand came from my LR. Another good way is to get a cup of LS from friends tanks. Anyway, just my 2 cents about LS ;) Good luck!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'll agree w/ Nicole --- Just start with some regular sand (not live --- maybe Southdown). Add a cup of Live sand from somebody's tank or a LFS tank. WIthin a month or so after adding LR your sand will be full of life.

On another note: Where are you getting your LR --- Most places that sell LR also sell LS or if a LFS --- would probably give you a cup or two with a large LR purchase.

I imagine many of our sponsors would be more than willing to work with you on LS especially if you buy some LR from them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well perhaps i need to take this a step back can i get recommendations on regular sand? I am trying to get this right from the start to minimize expense. thanks!

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
Triton marine in Tampa sells it fo $1 a pound. It's teaming with life.
It's a long trip but if you are planing a trip there anyway look into it. ( liverocks.com )

P.S. Starting Oct. 13 I'll be doing a job in Ft. Myers and will be making bi-weekly trips to the south west coast of Florida If some one needs me to make a stop let me know. ( always need a excuse to stop for a berr;) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts