The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My setup is similar, but is not nearly as fancy as yours. My RO/DI drips into a 7 gallon bucket that has a spigot on the bottom (it is actually salvaged from my home brew equipment). The shut off valve on this works and has never failed, and this bucket is always full of RO/DI.

When I need top off water, I fill my 5 gallon Aquadose bucket through the spigot. When I need water change water, I fill another 7 gallon bucket, then add salt to that, and plug it in to a heater, airstone.

It is the same idea without all of the plumbing.

I have never had a failure from the float valve in the collection bucket. I have had the check valve in the RO/DI unit fail, meaning that the float valve stops the output, but the waste water from the RO/DI unit doesnt.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why do you need an overflow from the SW tank? I would assume you would manually turn the valves so the water goes into that tank and would stay there until it is full and then shut it off. Besides is the volume of the tank that collects the water going to be signficantly higher than the SW tank? Are you planning on putting a float valve in the SW tank?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drsyme said:
Why do you need an overflow from the SW tank? I would assume you would manually turn the valves so the water goes into that tank and would stay there until it is full and then shut it off. Besides is the volume of the tank that collects the water going to be signficantly higher than the SW tank? Are you planning on putting a float valve in the SW tank?
Just incase I walk away for a few minutes and get sidetracked. I've read many stories of people doing just that...then ending up with a mess. I'm only using 1/4" plumbing to and from my 14 gallon Rubbermaid holding containers. No float valve in the SW tank - if I fill it too much...it will go down the drain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts