The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...anyone have one that they don't use?

...can someone suggest a good one that will test for the majority of the tests that should be done.

FYI - Just acquired 65 gallon established reef tank. no livestock. live rock. moving on 5/25/06. 60lbs of new live sand....dumping the old. 35 gallons of new RO/SO water. 25 gallon established filter tank. protein skimmer. Specific details to come as I investigate the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Many people will suggest getting Salifert test kits.

When you're looking to stock the tank, you should check out the TCMAS section here on TRT. We have monthly meetings.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dobbs said:
Thanks. I'll search the online merchants. Any suggestions?
OK...this is going to be way to expensive. They dont seem to have an all-in-one kit. There has to be a good one out there that will cover Ammonia, Calcium, Nitrate, Phosphate, Carbonate Hardness, Nitrite, pH (High Range and Low Range), and Iron. Similar to this one...
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=HG17860

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you plan on keeping hard corals, you will need a test kit that can accurately test the Ca, Alk and Nitrates.
I found that once the tank has cycled, i dont check the ammonia, nitrite often, but need to keep a close eye on calcium, alkinity and the pH.

I use Salifert for testing my Ca and Alk, but use more cost effective test kits for the rest.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
why are you dumping the live rock??? you could keep it, its the sand you wanna replace, if your dumping the rock, ship it to me, ill pay for shipping costs and boxes.

·
Administrator
46,687 Posts
Twitterbait said:
look at the fastest kits, they work great.
I would concur on the fastest for the basic Amonnia, nitrite, nitrate, they are good enough, The all in one you mentioned I wouldnt trust personally and a lot of that stuff is either not accurate enuff or not needed(Iron, Iodine, etc)
I would do Salifert for the calcium and alkilinity, get a pinpoint pH monitor(dye tests lie) and a refractometer rather han a cheapo swing arm hydrometer

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doug1 said:
I would concur on the fastest for the basic Amonnia, nitrite, nitrate, they are good enough, The all in one you mentioned I wouldnt trust personally and a lot of that stuff is either not accurate enuff or not needed(Iron, Iodine, etc)
I would do Salifert for the calcium and alkilinity, get a pinpoint pH monitor(dye tests lie) and a refractometer rather han a cheapo swing arm hydrometer
Thanks. I've got everything ordered except the PinPoint...wow, they are not cheap are they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FASTEST-SALTWAT...ryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts