The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to do it.

After much deliberation, I've decided that I am going to upgrade my current 90 gallon to the next big step....the fabled 120! ;)

Just though I'd post in case anyone knows of someone with a 120 (AGA preferred, need not be drilled) or of some tips on any stores with good tank prices. I plan on checking out Petco and Aqualand today (best tank prices I've seen).

After the new tank is up, I will be looking to sell my 90 gallon with stand and canopy. The tank is ready to go, drilled with 2 slip bulkheads in each rear corner to be used as overflows. Not a scratch on it. The back of the tank is painted a pleasant navy blue...

The stand is DIY and built like a tank. Has a side door, which I added so I could fit the 30 gallon long tank I use as a sump. It is 2x4's with 2x6 cross-braces on the upper portion. Center support brace. Wrapped in 1/4" Oak plywood. Brass hinges, somewhat tarnished, but I plan on putting new hinges B4 sale.

Canopy is framed 1x4's and also wrapped in 1/4" Oak plywood. Inside is painted white. Has 2 Icecap fans which I am willing to sell with the canopy. Other than that, the canopy will be empty (I am keeping lights, reflectors, ballasts, fixtures, and bulbs).

All will be cleaned prior to sale.

I will post pics later, and you are welcome to stop by and check out the system before it is taken down next Monday (5/26).

I'd like to start at $600 for the whole thing and go from there.
Have some misc equipment that I'd be willing to part with at that price - 30 gallon partitioned sump, wavemaker, perhaps some pumps, powerheads.

Otherwise open to any reasonable offer ;)

Would consider parting it out, but the 3 pieces make a nice unit. The stand cost me nearly $300 in materials itself...

TCMAS folks get first dibbs!

:D

·
1,035 Posts
4x2x2 PRICES

Let me know how your tank hunting goes, I brought back a AGA 120 from Chicago IMAC, it was used 3 days, black tank and stand not drilled......should I say Minnreefer brought it back:dance: :dance: :dance: tanks Jon

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
I picked up a 120 from SF, for 365.00 something, with tax 380 I think

AGA/RR

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Clyde.
SF quoted me $339 for bare bones 120.

I'm going with a closed loop on this one, so I think I will do hang-on overflows and have a single hole drilled for closed loop intake.

Anyone know locals who drill tanks and what they charge?

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
I could prolly squeeze another hole out of my bits...can drill holes for 1 or 1.5" bulkheads. Gimme a frag or 2 for the tank, and we'll call it even. I will not, however, guarantee against breakage.
Derek

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
IMHO, you'd be better-off going with a reef ready and having your closed loop hang over the tank. Hang-on overflows are a PITA, and still have a higher chance of failing vs. ready drilled, in tank overflows.
Derek

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Derek,

Thanks for the offer.
I have no experience with hang-ons, so I appreciate the advice.

As far as drilling goes, I'm a bit leery of no guarantee.
I heard SF will drill, but I wonder how much $$$ and whether or not they'll guarantee. Probably not.

I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Out of curiosity, how many tanks have you drilled?

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
he did 2 of mine, no complaints :)

anyway SF does like 30.00 a hole with bulkhead I think, last time I had em drill my tank, the overflows was 30 for em too.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Graham said:
Derek,

Thanks for the offer.
I have no experience with hang-ons, so I appreciate the advice.

...stuff deleted...

I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Out of curiosity, how many tanks have you drilled?
You would be better off keeping your experiences with hang ons at zero.

I've prolly drilled around 10 holes or so. If I remember correctly, Clyde's RR tank has a total of four holes--2 in each corner--1 for intake, 1 for return. I would assume that the holes were already drilled in the RR, and that Clyde didn't have to pay extra. And it would prolly have overflows built in as well. If I didn't have eyes bigger than the time I have for fish tanks, I would go with a 120RR like Clyde's.

HTH,
Derek

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I was at Something Fishy yesterday. They've got a 150 in the back with a black oak stand and hood. Turbo floater in a 55 gal. sump. I think 6 x 96wt 50/50 and a bunch of other misc stuff.The only downfall is the HOB. I think they only wanted around 800. I got this info from a buddy that works there. I looked at the tank and it looked like it was in good shape. It was the owners and he just upgraded to a 215.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Graham,

When I was looking for the best deal on a tank David pointed me at Forest Lake pets. 125 AGA RR and oceanic modern oak stand right around 700.00. Give them a try as well.

Tom

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Graham, Congratulations on your upgrade. (please note rule #3 of my rules of coral/fishkeeping!).
Was looking at some of the corals you left with Bill on Saturday. Really nice stuff!
I hope the switch goes well, and let me know if you need any help.

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys.

After sleeping on it ;), I am leaning toward a RR 120 AGA.
I was thinking on having a single hole drilled for closed loop intake. Otherwise, stock.

Can anyone offer opinions on AGA's overflow system? I've always done the bulkhead drainage thing, so I'm ignorant as to how well the AGAs work without modification. Also, exactly how much space do they take up? As in, how many inches is the overflow plate from the back corner (measured along the glass)?

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
Ill take pictures for you today, as I m running a 120 right now in my living room

this is my first AGA with built in overflows.

look for them soon

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I have secured a deal on a tank and I think I have found someone to do the overflow and drilling work for me...

Thanks to all for giving input!

The 90 is still for sale...I'm feeling pretty firm on the price after all the time and material I have invested in it. It won't kill me if I have to keep it. :D

As in my original post, there are some accessories I will include in the tank.

I'm sure I will periodically bump this back up...hehe

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Just curious, where'd you wind up getting the tank from? How much?

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm buying Dirk's 3-day used tank with stand.

It was a "very good deal" :D

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Otherwise, the cheapest new price I found was $329 at Aqualand on 54th (53rd?) and Chicago. Didn't check Petco though...the Petco I went to only carried tanks up to 75 gallons.

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
okay cool, I was about to post pictures, but seems its a done deal, good to hear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts