The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has a Sea HAre for sale/rent?
I am going through a MAJOR hair algae problem and someone from RC mentioned using sea hare to cure the problem...

Please let me know if you have one for sale/rent...
i hate hair algae....

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
water change should help too...just get rid of those dissolved organics/nutrients any way you can, and the alga loses its food source. do you havve a sandbed that might be contributing to nutrient overload? Sandbeds just act as nutrient sponges over time, imo.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sand bed

yes... I do have a sand bed... the tank has been up over two year..
i am preparing for another 20% water change plus siphon out some wastes from the sand (I hope this helps)

or do I need to change / replace new sand?

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
you can still have a nice white sandy bottom without creating a sponge/trap for nutrients...just go with a very shallow sand bed that can be easily cleaned.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
Keep in mind Sea hares are very sensative to nitrites and overflows, you can kill them very easily. But they do eat lots of Hair Algae. Only reason I say is you should do a large water change to make sure all your levels are very good for this creature, they are sensative.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
good point Nyles. Maybe address what's causing the outbreak(nutrients) instead of spending money on an animal that feeds on what you wish you didn't have anyway...:)

·
Wrasseman!
1,835 Posts
Come on quite using logic you could destroy the whole sea hare import buisness.
Have you thought about how that would effect the sea hare breeders and there familys?

With that said this is sound advice

" Maybe address what's causing the outbreak(nutrients) instead of spending money on an animal that feeds on what you wish you didn't have anyway"

I have never been a fan of buying wounder potions in a bottle or add more of these to counter those.

·
Waves Marine & Reef
1,733 Posts
I havent found SeaHares to be very sensitive at all, Ive had dozens through the store and the only one that has died was one that went in a nano and I believe it was stung by the rose anemone.

I also agree its a band-aid not a fix, but using a hare to eat the algae, then exporting the poo via skimming, water changes, phosban reactor etc makes sense to me. This way you dont have to wait for the hair algae to starve.

as for wonder potions Randy, I have yet to see any difference from using the prodibio, it is still early though....

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
I agree to a point Joel, I have had no trouble with them when my tanks are in order, but I have had tons of trouble when I had hair algea. Not saying it was releated but something in the "Bad" water was killing them. They would eat, then get lathargic and eventually die. If you look on live aquaria site they are listed as hard to keep as well, but it specificly depends on your water quality and I think some things are listed hard to keep to one person could easily be easy to keep to others with good water and husbandry. I found my problem in my tank, since then they live fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
feeding

i kept the tank for approx two years without any problem
however, due to recent travel constraints, my daughter has been feeding the tank... I think she feed the fish a bit too much...

I plan to siphon the sand bed for junk and conduct large water change.

thanks for the great advices... you guys rock!

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
with all due respect Joel...as the business owner with the product in question, your view just might be perceived as being a bit subjective...just a possibility..not saying that is the case.

I do agree that purchasing the seahare would likely speed up the solution though(good pitch)...how about renting it out? That way he's not stuck with it after its food source is gone...assuming it doesn't end up dying of course. Maybe he can purchase it, and when he returns it alive he gets 75% of the cost back? After 4 rentals you'd be makin more than it sells for...probably be in profitland after 1 or 2 rentals....just a thought for a win-win for both sides.

However...if they are on the fragile side as Nyles indicated...idunno if that's a good risk for the hobbyist to take on.

what's the going labor rate for a bi ol' mollusca like dat? :)

·
Waves Marine & Reef
1,733 Posts
Well it could be they simply arent in the shop long enough to "get lathargic and eventually die", but I also dont have top quality water. With all the hands, corals and fish coming and going from the systems they are certainly not nitrate free.

Piero, I hardly doubt selling a $14 seahare is going to really effect my bottom line. Im simply stating what I have found after dealing with dozens of these animals. Again, I dont typically have them for months, so maybe they can simply hang in there for a while, when in reality they arent as hardy as they appear.

When comparing to fish and corals with say a 20-30% mortality rate (off the top of my head) they seem pretty dang hardy to me, having not lost one yet with the one excption as stated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree with liquidfunk..we have yet to lose one sea hare..I have one in my personal tank... a "blue ring" and he is doing great...I dont have a bit of hair algae..but he seems to always have something to eat... He's doubled in size.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
I will say off the top, Im not saying their a bad choice, just that they haven't worked out for me. THATS ALL. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't think Joel is trying to make them a special "fix" he just chimed in to defend himself from those involving him in a discusion he didn't even chose to be in other than he has one is stock. So buy it already and see how it works out, all I was saying is make sure your tests are in order and the sea hair will clean the rest up, if you have high ph04, or silicates well your wasting your time, might as well buy him and roast him over an open flame... YUMMM

Regardless, where all here just to help, just as Joel is to help provide what you need, If you ask questions.. I'm sure you will get and eventual unbias answer.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Speakin of large mullosca...on a trip to Sanibel island off of FL when I was about 15, hundreds of HUGE seahairs were washing up along the beach. I remember going out one morning, walking the beach, and tossing them as far as i could back into the ocean..stupidly thinking I could save some...they were obviously all washing up for a reason I had no control over though.

Anyway...I didn't realize they had a deep purple ink defense mechanism...and never looked down while tossing them back into the water...but upon arriving back at the house...my mother took one look at me and said, "what the heck have you been up to?" When I looked, I was completely purple from the waist down, as if I had been wading around in paint. :freak:

liquidfunk said:
Piero, I hardly doubt selling a $14 seahare is going to really effect my bottom line.
ahh...sounds nice, but like a soda you buy for $1 that costs the seller 10 cents, the profit margin is HUGE...and margin is what counts...I can check my price lists to confirm though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts