The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Reef octopus NW110 on my 29 gallon and I have decided I want a different skimmer. I am going to use the NW110 on a 20 gallon long frag tank now. So now I am looking for a new skimmer.

I found this one and it seems like it might be a pretty good skimmer. People say the pump is quite and the big plus that I like is the pump is mounted UNDER the skimmer. That way it takes up less room.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...in_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ00160-FIPSISNW-vi.html

Is this any good?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Wow, another aquamaxx question.

Ok, with the pump under the skimmer, you need to remove the skimmer to work on the pump. It is a PITA if you do not have a lot of room to move the skimmer about to access the pump.

It draws 360lph so that is more than the NWB-110 (240lph) but less than the NWB-150 which pulls 420lph. For $250, that is not really that good of a deal. The NWB-150 is $200 and the Octopus XS-160 is $280 but it pulls 630lph of air.... so for $250 range you better be pulling some 500+lph of air just to compete. If you absolutely need the pump-under-the-skimmer footprint. If you need a small footprint, I would go with a Tunze for that cost ($280).

What is wrong with the NWB-110? For a 29+small sump, that is a very good skimmer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, another aquamaxx question.

Ok, with the pump under the skimmer, you need to remove the skimmer to work on the pump. It is a PITA if you do not have a lot of room to move the skimmer about to access the pump.

It draws 360lph so that is more than the NWB-110 (240lph) but less than the NWB-150 which pulls 420lph. For $250, that is not really that good of a deal. The NWB-150 is $200 and the Octopus XS-160 is $280 but it pulls 630lph of air.... so for $250 range you better be pulling some 500+lph of air just to compete. If you absolutely need the pump-under-the-skimmer footprint. If you need a small footprint, I would go with a Tunze for that cost ($280).

What is wrong with the NWB-110? For a 29+small sump, that is a very good skimmer.
I wanted to use the NW-110 on my 20 gallon long. I broke a piece off of the NW-110 but I am in the process of fixing it with weld-on. The NW-110 also took up a lot of space in my sump.

Attachments

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Ouch, what happened?

Why the space concern in the sump? I have a NWB-150 in a 10g.... for me a sump is all skimmer space :lol:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Oh, if the weld-on does not work. You can drill out and/or remove the black plastic, install a Uni-seal, and then use an adapted plumbing line like just a straight pipe or clear tubing mounted to the OPT pump (might take some creativity) and go from there. Many of the "older" skimmers used Uni-Seals rather than hard plastic in the past.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
That stinks. The footprint is not much smaller. You are likely only save an in or two of length but the width is the same (about 6.5 inches)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Wow, that is not bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.