The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched, here, on-line, and other aquarium forums with little to no info. I found one guy who made his own and another who's Dad built one for him at a cost of $300.00+.:eek: It looked VERY nice, but the $$$ is a little more then I would like to spend. Do any of you have a link to a site or post that goes into detail on how to build one? I really dont want to use power strips. I have an idea on how to build one, but would like to see/get some ideas. I work for a electrical supply co, so getting parts won't be a problem.:)
Thanks.....

·
11,345 Posts
You could shave abouot $50 off if you went with cheaper sockets and another $30 if you went with cheaper timers. I dont think you would want to go cheaper on the switches, fuse parts and interconnects. That would put the parts cost down to a little less than $200. (thats NOT counting the breaker and 10 gauge wire from the main panel). I think it took him around 6 hours to build but that was designing it as well so probably 3 hours or so(for him). I havent started my copycats yet but they will probably take me 6 hours becasue im slow and im adding indicator lights to the original design.
Hope that answered your thoughts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have done something similar, where I used a computer to run a relay box wired to various household outlets in triple boxes. Here's a thread of my project:

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59821&highlight=refusurge

It has a link to the relay box. Box cost 70$ Electrical boxes, outlets, wires, etc. @ 50$. Crappy ol' computer for free.

If this interests you, I'd be glad to share more details!

Peace,

KOKO

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
How handy are you?? You can making something like out of some 2x4 and plywood might not look as nice but it will do the same job. Also you are going to have two tanks right? How close are these tanks going to be to each other? If they are going to be side by side then make once nice big power area and have both tanks run to it.

Tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats up Tim.... I think of myself as a DIY'er.:D So I dont see building one would be a problem. Tanks are about 25' apart. A little far to share a power center.;) I have an idea on how I want to build one, but just wanted to see If I can get better ideas from fellow members. The size I would like would be about a 12x12x4 or a 12x12x6. The PVC box is the little expensive, $40.00 if I go with it. The steel box is about $15.00, but a little heavy. Then there is the good ol wood box. Leaning towards the wooden box.;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links Tim. Thats a nice setup he has. Never thought about a floor model. I was planning on hanging mine on the wall.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Could take apart a Computer Power Supply and use that...Rig two together, you can gut one and keep the other one like it is. Put ballast/timers in one, use the other to power fans and stuff...thats what works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts