The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally starting to get some equipment to mod my current 75 undrilled tank to a drilled with sump tank. After lots of research here and elsewhere I think I am going to go for a ASM G2 because it seems to be the biggest skimmer I can put in my stand and still get the collection cup off. Also the price is what I paid for my Aqua C Remora 4 years ago (hahaha). I am still using the Remora and it is actually doing quite well but I want to improve my tanks ability keep more fish as well as keep a few nice SPS colonies. So I guess what I am asking is what are peoples thoughts feelings on the G2? Can it handle a 75 with a 20 gallon sump? ASM says the G2 can handle up to 200 gallons but everybody else seems to say 100 gallons, so whats what? Also does anybody by chance have a G2 that they are parting with?

Thanks,
Josh

·
reef n00b
423 Posts
I have a G3 on my 75G with a 29 gallon sump and I like it for what I paid. The only thing is it is very sensitive to a water height change. For instance if my skimmer is running and I stick my hand in the tank it will sometimes freak out and start overflowing. Other than that I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am planning a 75 gallon. It will not be up for at least a few months but, I am saving up for a G4 with gate valve and recirc mod. It is about $425. I know that is expensive but, I can almost guarantee I will be going bigger eventually. Just something to think about since you already have a skimmer that works fine.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
If you do the recirc. and gate valve mods, sump water levels should not have as big of an impact to skimmer unless your talking very large daily level swings. My g4+ with the mods has been pretty much set it and forget and while I do have dosing pump for topoff, the sump level does fluctuate some with no impact to skimmer production.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I personally don't like them at all. Had one, got rid of it, refused to sell it to the club.

Actually the tank turned out well with out a skimmer, softie system though... and only had it running for 4 months before I had to move it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible that I could just run two of the remoras on my 75 or does one skimmer cancel the other out? I am definately going to put in a sump and drill the tank but how soon do I need to upgrade my skimmer? If I could use both remoras (rated up to a 75 gallons) that would rate me up to 150 gallons or realistically maybe a 100. Any thoughts? I would also like to upgrade my lighting from 390 watts pcs to a 6x54 watt t-5 setup retro so that I can add HID later on down the road if needed. What would you guys upgrade fist or think is more important, lighting or skimmer. Everything I have now is doing very well but I would like to keep a few more lighting intensive sps's. Any recommendations/

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Josh

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Definately the sump and good skimmer first. This will be so key to success IME, to have a nice solid configuration for any tank but especially true once you start wanting to invest in the more delicate SPS/Acropora corals.

For so many reasons, less temp. fluctuations, easier to implement a good solid top off system to keep salinity stable, improve oxygen levels when using a sump to name a few. You can have the best lighting in the world but lacking in the other areas would still be your weekness.

It's okay, to stop now, take a few steps backwards and get a good solid foundation in your configuration and hardware as this will allow you to make much larger steps in the right direction for years to come.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts