The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on purchasing a protein skimmer for my 28G nano cube. I'm not crazy about the 28g nanocube protein skimmer, I don't know if it's me or the skimmer but can't get it to function correctly. Collection cup always fills with water, foam and bubbles escapes from top hole in collection cup and out to tank and floor.

I'm looking to purchase something better. There is not alot of space in the back designated area, probably go with a hang on. Any recommendations....

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
well, futureDoc is the man to know when looking for a skimmer. im sure he will chime in.

skimmers for nanos are in a weird category. most on the market do not work, or do not work like they should. i have no clue why no company has just scaled down there normal skimmers for larger tanks. like a mini-octopus skimmer. and the other problem, nano skimmers cost a lot. heres my best guess at a good nano skimmer
http://www.marinedepot.com/protein_skimmers_aquac_nano_remora-ap.html and i think this is still un-liked by the hobby.

maybe this one.
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/T9002_000.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang on back Protein skimmer and AquaC Remora protein Skimmer with Rio + 800 pump.

Leaning toward the AquaMaxx .
Someone told me Reef Octopus 100 & Aqua Euro Usa Hang on Back.

Actually, my nano protein skimmer seems to be doing ok, i guess just needed a little bit more break in time but I will still upgrade to a better skimmer.

Question, new to sw do I run the skimmer all the time 24/7 ?

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I have a octopus bh100 on my 36. It does an amazing job but the pump is inside the tank that's the only problem. The bh1000 is outside but I think it's too big for a nano

·
Registered
155 Posts
a nano skimmer on that sized tank is useless. I use a cpr aeroforce on my 18gal tall. Look it up and look it up on youtube. I think this is a great protein skimmer. Much quieter than others.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have the aquaticlife skimmer on my 24g cube and it's a big improvement over the oceanic biocube skimmer. I only have 2 2" damsels in there but it still pulls out tea colored skimmate. It's prob not the best skimmer on the market but for the price it's a decent skimmer. I don't have experience with any others in this size but I can tell you that the biocube skimmers are almost worthless

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Oceanic Skimmer for my 14g cube. Not to thrilled with it. I am going to give it a bit more time. The pump sucks. It makes a ton of noise. The air valve is turned almost all the way down but I still get a lot of water in my cup. I even tried to raise it a bit more. I guess I will have to see.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the Oceanic Skimmer for my 14g cube. Not to thrilled with it. I am going to give it a bit more time. The pump sucks. It makes a ton of noise. The air valve is turned almost all the way down but I still get a lot of water in my cup. I even tried to raise it a bit more. I guess I will have to see.

I'm using an Oceanic Skimmer in a 5 gal tank. They are inefficient skimmers, but on a micro level, it's about as good as you're going to get. For a 14 gal, if space allows, Lees skimmer (internal and wooden airstone operated) would give you a much greater water column for foamation. All that aside, the Oceanic Skimmer does work. The pump will make less noise if set on a carpet, and you could always use a different pump. I use a rheostat controlled hagen optima, which is fairly silent, and really silent if set on top of a carpet. I found that when I first set up the Oceanic Skimmer, I kept changing the cup over and over, until, eventually, the skimmate became more and more concentrated. Now I change it every day to every other day, depending on conditions that affect the amount of foam produced. I'm sure you can get that skimmer to work well for you if you just keep working with it, because, for what it is, it will skim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts