The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spotted some long (ranging from 2"-3") tenticle type object coming out of a piece of live rock. They look like single strands of white hair. What i'm seeing is a longer piece strung out between two rocks which appears to be pulling in stuff (food?) along side it are two other pieces that are shorter and seem to be feeling around. Does anyone know what it may be (i know it's not bristle worm)? Should i be concerned?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned, I have hundreds. I can't recall the name, but if I recall correctly, they are just scavenger worms. Do you have volcano shaped piles of sand? I usually see them coming out of those, but definitly in the rocks as well.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
I have something sorta like that, its a lot smaller they look stiff not reacting to water movement and they have yellow tips, they don't do anything and they go and come, not really worried about it

___________________-
Live long and prosper

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i have some as well. mine are greyish white with dark black rings.. i was told they were small serpent stars..

today, it's moved to a new rock!!!

not sure if yours is the same or not, but from the description, it sounds the same.

·
Registered
570 Posts
could be a gastropod (sessile snail), they send out a little cobweb looking thing, loks like a cobweb, its actually mucus

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
depending on the appearance (i.e., a photo would be good... :rolleyes: ) it could be a specie of spaghetti work, a vermetid snail (especially if it comes from what apears to be a calcerous tube) or a specie of brittle star, pix would help a lot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't seen it since so there won't be any pictures.It almost looks like a single strand off of a spider web.But it moves on it's own not with the current.I guess it is harmless,unlike the clicking noise I was hearing last night.I wonder if I have a mantis shrimp:(

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
The Mayor said:
I haven't seen it since so there won't be any pictures.It almost looks like a single strand off of a spider web.But it moves on it's own not with the current.I guess it is harmless,unlike the clicking noise I was hearing last night.I wonder if I have a mantis shrimp:(
Rut-Roh, you have a red lensed flash light? You may wanna spy on your tank for a few evenings to see if you have one of the little boogers.

·
Registered
570 Posts
gastropod (sessile snail) its a mucus trap that he is stickicing out there and slowly reeling back in with stuff he catches

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have what looks like a Serpulid feather duster, except it doesn't have a crown of feathers. Instead, there are two short antennae. protruding from the tube's opening and it sends out strands of mucus several inches long. What is this?
This is probably a Vermetid gastropod. It is a harmless, sessile snail that captures detritus and plankton with a mucus trap. They form calcareous tubes that project them out into the water column. An excellent article by Dr.Ron Shimek is at http://www.aquarium.net/0897/0897_8.shtml

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i have something that looks similar to what you described, but it lives in a shell. it looks like this: picture and empty astrea snail shell. now picture coming out of the opening a thin tube covered in crushed coral, about 1 to 1.5 inches long. then sometimes coming out of the tube is a long thin clear/white 'tentacle' which sways with (and against) the current. I dont know what it is either. it looks too small to be the vermitid gastropod thingy in Shimek's article...

·
Registered
570 Posts
one of my vermitid was only 1/8" across in diameter, the tell tale sign is the "cobweb" it extends in the current

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have damsels especially three Stripe they make clicking sounds when warning off or chasing other fish also they churp...also I have those on lots of live rock they are harmless for the most part but will bloom quickly in high nutrient systems they are harmless detritus eaters and are beneficial for the most part the only issue is they do grow with in the live rock and too many can irritate some corals simply by being a constant nuisance while looking for food in and around the coral to the point the coral may not want to open and stops feeding...it's rare this happens as for the most part they live in harmony they can also be beneficial to the coral by the same reason by removing detritus from the body of the coral your flow doesn't remove...what I do know is the more flow you have on your rocks in those areas you don't see them as much..a also notice that my six Line will happily snap of those testicles all day....they are harmless, have no sting and are detritus eaters...they start in the sand and will move into the rocks when in larger numbers...they are a different type of spaghetti worm the numbers will bloom and then thin out the cleaner your system is they need a steady food source sufficient enough to support the numbers..so flow on your rocks and cleaning sand bed will help in this process. But understand you will never fully get rid of them you simply want to keep them under control running a low nutrient environment is a good way to do so NOT DEVOID OF NUTRIENTS simply lower and balanced this will keep them in the beneficial level and out of nuisance levels in your tank...what you don't want is for the bigger ones to leave your sand bed and go to your liverocks...they will be easier to spot as you will notice your Zoa and other corals you target feed won't open or open sporadically, shrink up and the testicles are clearly visible all over and streaming from within the coral...with some diligence you can easily remove them from the coral with a pipette or turkey baster afterwards you should follow the same lower nutrient process eventually bringing it to a balanced nutrient and phosfate system. Corals need and do better with some nutrients available to them in health and color. Good luck

·
Administrator
19,654 Posts
Hey Klarencej2010......welcome to TRT, and thanks for jumping in and sharing information. Though this particular thread is 19 years old, so I hope you don't get discouraged when there's a lack of responses. Still a great post though. (y)
All the best,
Hack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts