The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Two ocellaris clowns have been hosting my long tentacle plate coral for about 2 months now. The Coral does not seem to be doing to well. Every time I feed my sis to the coral the clowns come and knock it away. My plate coral was awesome looking before and now it is smaller than ever and its tentacles don't seem to be inflating fully. What can I do to save my Coral?

·
Administrator
18,788 Posts
That's a very common problem when clown fish host corals. There are only a few things to be done.
1. Get rid of the clown fish. I am guessing that's probably not on the list.
2. Get an anemone or other type of coral and cover the plate coral until they host with the new coral. Large Xenia is a good coral for them to host with.
3. Remove or cover the coral to see if they will loose interest or the coral will recover health.

That's what my experience has been.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice tcamos.... Yeh not ready to send my clowns to the glue factory yet. I punched a bunch of holes in a 2 Lt bottle and placed it over the coral with out the lid attached. Is this what you meant by covering it? I have only had it covered for about 5 hrs now and it looks better already. I think it was really getting sick of having two clowns constantly swimming, laying, sleeping, and taking food from it. It was to a point where the tentacles were sort of desensitized and would not even hold on to mysis shrimp. I had to do something. 3 months ago, I wouldn't have been able to fit a 2Lt bottle over this coral because it was too big. I may have to move it and buy a anemone for the clowns. I have no experience with them and didn't really want one due to them stinging corals etc... I may look into the xenia

·
Administrator
18,788 Posts
That is what I meant by covering it. Though you will need something that allows strong flow to get through. The little green baskets that strawberries come in are perfect or if you take your bottle and actually cut slats out of it. If the water doesn't flow in there the coral won't survive for long.

Anemone are difficult and require very strong lighting. Xenia is much easier and doesn't cost much so if you fail you aren't out a lot of money. Also, it grows so fast that if you can find someone locally that has it they usually give it away for free.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I use zip lock plastic containers since where I live strawberries don't come in baskets anymore. With the containers I can cut slits in the container and the lid and put coral inside it and put the lid on. Then I don't have to worry about it becoming dislodged from the sand and floating up like a bottle or plastic cup can do. Plus, the containers are blue so it isn't as ugly as the red solo cups I was using before. :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice...I did punch a bunch of holes in the bottle and there is flow getting to the coral. I like the strawberry and plastic container idea as well...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts