Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Logo contest w/ a prize to be determined at a later date

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing our logo being sold under another persons copyright it is obvious that we do not wish to use that as our logo.

So the question is do we have another contest or do we let Sam our CafePress graphics person come up w/ a few images that the BOD chooses.

DOes the membership really care ???

I propose that if we have a contest that we issue an ARC gift certificate good for use at your favorite sponsor. $50.00 would seem appropiate. The contestants would need to come up w/ two different logos/banners.

Anyway lets vote on this and I'll make whatever arrangements are needed no matter how the vote falls.

Charles

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Why not have a contest but open it up to anyone. We might draw from a larger talent pool. We could still offer a gift certificate but it would need to be from someone that ships.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since it was a ARC logo I thought we should keep it in with members. I don't see an issue w/ finding enough talent.

But hey I'm open for anything I just want to get this moving so we can get CafePree on line.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I too like Rick's idea :idea: of placing the logo challenge out to a larger pool of talent.

I'd like to see posts in at least TRT and ReefCentral :rolleyes: so that we get the widest possible audience.

BTW, we should state in the post announcing this contest that all submissions become the property of ARC, just like in photo/art contests. We should have a deadline (like 2 weeks from the date of the post) and have it go to our webmaster's address. :p

Rob could build a page that displays either all of the submitted entries or just the top 10 (or whatever) that the BOD's decides is appropriate (probably based on the # of submissions). Then the entries could be voted by the membership in either a new ARC webpage or in the "Member's Only TRT section (which I'd prefer if it'll handle the number of submissions/voting possibilities).

Charles, will this meet contest meet your timeframe? It might take a month (2 weeks to receive entries, 3-5 days for BOD to vote on top X# of entries, 5-7 days for membership to vote on top entry.)

Separately, if a non-ARC member, non-Atlantan wins, how do we give them their award? I propose we write them a check.

Bob

·
Registered
921 Posts
Logo contest

If we go national, then we will need very specific fine print to gain ownership of the art and judging that is free from accusations. The logo we had was simple and simply redrawing any photo of a clownfish would serve to eliminate the copyright issue. Obviously Charles feels Sam could handle this task. The only reason I would suggest the contest would be to have the club feel a part of the process. We have some talent sufficient to deal with this locally.

In a wide open call for logos you will get items too complex to reproduce, too many colors for embroidery, too tiny for letterhead, and probably not that well done.

I like the current logo and if we just had a new clownfish drawn it would be just fine. This is what I think we should ask of our talent and then let the club decide among the few. This essentially agrees with Charles' suggestion.

A photo is attached I think would solve this issue if redrawn.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
People --- This has allready gotten way to complicated. I was really looking for a fairly quick and simple fix and now were talking a national logo contest :rolleyes:

Tell ya what I'm going to do ---

I'm going to get an immediate solution for this problem that doesn't involve any major ordeal. You all will just have to trust me. I will make sure it's inline w/ our current logo and I'll let you pick the solution before we go live. This will get us some merchandise in a timely manor.

If somebody (other than me) wants to organize a logo contest --- thats fine we can always change the merchandise around at a moments notice sometime in the future when a new logo is decided upon.

Personally I think out current logo sucks. It's just plain jane and the clown fish has a very sad expression on his face. I would rather see something a little more colorful and happier (more twords the finding Nemo thing)

Charles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.