The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who's still fighting Acro Eating Flat Worms and who's discovered they have them over the last year or so... How have people that had them fared with treatments etc. Just curious as I haven't heard much on this board about them lately.

Kevin

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
My LRB have not been back :) Also no sign of AEFW although I would love to get a second opinion from someone of whom knows better. No bad signs no eggs no dead growing edges.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i had the acro flat worms about 6 months ago and got rid of them by chucking the corals that were affected by them. so far so good. crossing my fingers i dont get them back.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
spazz said:
i had the acro flat worms about 6 months ago and got rid of them by chucking the corals that were affected by them. so far so good. crossing my fingers i dont get them back.
I took the same route you did Scott and pitched the ones that had them and have had no signs of them since. I am thankful I caught them relatively early and they were pieces that were not to hot to begin with anyways. Repetitive checks of the pieces during my rock cooking leads me to believe I am free of the little f'ers but you can never be to sure. It also is one of the reasons why I have not been adding new corals as of late as it is to much of a PIA. I have taken a policy of only adding corals from people that I know and can trust but still realize that anything is possible and it just is part of the hobby.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
redwinger said:
I took the same route you did Scott and pitched the ones that had them and have had no signs of them since. I am thankful I caught them relatively early and they were pieces that were not to hot to begin with anyways. Repetitive checks of the pieces during my rock cooking leads me to believe I am free of the little f'ers but you can never be to sure. It also is one of the reasons why I have not been adding new corals as of late as it is to much of a PIA. I have taken a policy of only adding corals from people that I know and can trust but still realize that anything is possible and it just is part of the hobby.
ya that is why im stocking the 120 so heavely with frags. once they grow a little bit and im sure there all free of the S.O.B's then they should be ready for the 300g tank.
i guess the 120 is really a large q tank right now. so hopefully i will be done getting frags real soon. but the big problem is i can never say thats it, no more. so the 120 continues to pile up with frags and i end up removing other colonies so i have more rock space for frags. in the end i think my tank will look like doc's tank. ha ha ha acros crammed eveywhere. it will look pretty cool when it grows out though. i think i will let it go and let the colonies fight each other for space. only frag them if there is a problem.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
That is kind of my ambition right now just let them grow. Only I am thinning out frags that I have.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a little nervous that I might be seeing some signs on some. It doesn't sound like the 40ppm Levimasole is working so well for people on the reef central thread either. I used closer to 80ppm on all of mine so I'm pretty amazed at anything making it through that. I tossed a California Tort I believe that had some missing tissue and two spots of concentrated color, like flat worms that had been eating the zoox. My frags are all pretty small so I don't see any room for eggs anywhere so I a little surprised to be seeing possible signs this far along. I'm watching closely. I'll have to be pretty ruthless sadly. I don't feel like doing another 6 month sps free period. :)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i know reef sitter has been doing some research using fluk tablets. he said he was able to get rid of the acro flat worms using the fluk tabs and the corals were fine. i wantto note that he dont have the flat worms in his tank. he had them on some corals that were in his Q tank. he got them from a LFS. he puts all his corals in a Q tank for weeks on end.

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Scott, ever get that microscope? If so, let's use it on the frags I have over here to verify they're ready to be transfered to display... They're almost at 4 weeks in quarantine now (after many hours in Levimasole, just in case), some 6 or 7 weeks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I had a lot of aefw about 6 months ago and tossed a large ziplog bag filled with corals away. I did some levimasole treatments and after a while restocked with frags that I also treated. What I noticed in my case is that they spread extremely fast. By the time I got around to doing something about them, they were everywhere. I am happy to say that the tank looks much better now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts