The Reef Tank banner

livestock list, your thoughts?

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  cutietwo 
#1 ·
OK, just posted up what I think i'll be using for a CUC, here is where I think i'll be going with livestock. Let me know what you think!

Again, this is a 55g with over 100 pounds of LR.

1x flame angelfish
2x spotted cardinal fish
1x blue tang
2x ocellaris clown
1x gold head goby
1x black and white butterflyfish

Here are my questions regarding these fish.

1. Are they going to get along?
2. When I order food for everyone, what all would you recommend that I have handy at all times to feed them?
--If any one item is specific to one of these types of fish, do let me know!! :beer:
3. Any other misc. recommendations/advice?

Thanks so much!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Somewhere on the internet I read a good guideline to go by is 1" of fish per 5gallons of water. So by that formula you will be way overstocked. Not saying I adhere to this but I did read it.

FWIW, I have a 75g, I have 1 false perc and a Yellow Tang. I have another false perc in Q/T. I plan in adding a royal gramma, a 6 line and an orange spotted gobie. Going by the 1" to 5g's, I will be overstocked too.

#5 ·
I would agree with dropping the butterfly too. Your GF will love the blenny, my GF cant get enough of him. Just make sure you get him down the road. You need an established tank with some algae for him to munch on. I would also look into coral beautys and 6 line wrasse, both great fish. Also, with your goby i would try to get one paired with a pistol shrimp. I dont see them out all the time, but when theyre out they are really interesting to watch.

#6 ·
THe whole inch to gallon ratio is pretty rough as a 5 inch fish is more than 5 times the mass of a 1 inch fish in most cases. How does a an eel get calculated? THe original list does sound too heavily stocked but I don't know that inches per gallon or 5 gallons is the best way to estimate.:)

#7 ·
not sure whether or not the tank will be overstocked, but they should get along well.. they are peaceful fishes.. watch out for the flame though, they could be aggressive toward other angel that you MIGHT wanna put in later!
Recommendation for u and ur gf: clown shrimp (aka Harlequin shrimp).. small, beautiful color, great character, docile, hilarious when it walks! but the only downsize is it only eat starfish.

#11 ·
I would add the flame in at the same time...as long as the fish are all pretty equal in size.

I have a matted pair of watchman gobys, flame angel, yellow tang, and six line wrasse. They all get along real well, but have been together for 6 years. In a 75 gallon. add all at the same time without any problems.

#12 ·
I'm thinking adding all at the same time is going to be an issue. Taking someones advice on here, I'm going to order from liveaquaria.com. We'll see if I can get them ordered all at the same time. Looks like I'll be calling to work out a time to do so.

So last thing, assuming my list is:

1x flame angelfish
2x spotted cardinal fish
1x lawnmower blenny
2x ocellaris clown
1x gold head goby

What kind of food should I have sitting around for everyone??

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's getting to the exciting part! :banana:

#13 ·
Sorry to ruin all the excitement, but I wouldnt put everything in at the same time, youll be putting too much stress on your tank at one time. As far as feeding I would get some frozen brine sprimp and some spirulina. Also, I would try to find a LFS with good livestock, unless you want stressed fish and high shipping costs, not to mention you stressing on what is happened with the package while in transit.

#14 ·
Hmm... well if it's better to space them out than it looks like the LFS it is. I was hoping to get everything ordered at the same time from liveaquaria since their prices are way better than any LFS around here, and i could save on shipping that way... :doh:

#15 ·
Believe me I wanted to add everything at the same time too, but Ive found slowly adding things keeps you interested and your anticipation high (not to mention a lot more time to read up on everything you want.) I've found most prices online are pretty low, but then you end up paying for it with the shipping costs. Keep us updated on the additions!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.