The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been disconnected for almost a year due to construction that I've had done to my house, time and space is now available for me to reconnect my tank once again.

I was wondering how I should handle the live sand and live rock I once had. The water that I will be adding will be DI water (TWP), I had to totally empty my tank of water, will the live rock or live sand I once had become live once again or will I have to start from scratch by buying live rock and live sand?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the rocks were under water actually until this past Saturday, I drained my tank this past Saturday. It doesnt look like they turned all white either, I am hoping to get my tank running tonight or tomorrow the latest, is it to late?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well...hummm been out of water for 3 + days. Did you keep it covered and wet? Not necessarily submersed, but covered to keep moisture?

You will have some die off.. I don't think there will be a BIG problem. It will have to re-cure. Same with the sand. Might be a bit smelly too.

I would say go for it, testing the water as you go. I would anticipate the normal new tank cycle.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!!!!!

:wavey:

how good was the water they were sitting in? if it was way off from NSW then it might be a good idea to just scrub the rocks off and boil them to kill them the rest of the way. after this you can seed it with a few pounds of new LR. if the water was pretty good then leave it and use it as is. the rock will become live again when seeded with new LR. do you have worms and critters running around the bottom of the container? this would be good sign. the rock is still good in as is condition.

G~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to slow down and hopefully do this the right way. For the time being I am going to set my tank up with my US Aquarium Filter and gradually build my sump and my protein skimmer, think this is a good idea and will it be a problem for my tank when I do make the switch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts