The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried another couple fish in my tank and I think they are getting ich,, I don't have any corals or anything in the main tank. Only thing I have besides fish are some hermits, snails and live rock, I was wondering if I removed the rock and invertabrates if the sand bacteria would live?

Any ideas on this? this way i could remove the rocks and invertes and leave the fish alone, (might be less stressful?)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Treat for hyposalinity in a separate container, as the hyposalinity you want is ZERO salinity at matching temp and pH for 5 to 10 minutes unless the specimen shows distress. Hyposalinity in the SG range of 1.015 to 1.018 @ 80F is of limited TREATMENT benefit, but may help maintain some specimens if ich is a chronic issue. This salinity is tough on corals, and may result in gradual losses if specimens are allowed to stay at that level for an extended time (see Stephen Spotte text for references).

To answer your question directly, the effect on the bacteria in the sandbed will depend on speciation and to what level and how quickly you drop salinity. There will be some effect regardless, depending on to what extent the interstitial water in the sand/substrate is exchanged with the main body of water in the system. Many species can withstand gradual salinity changes that would otherwise be lysed by a rapid osmotic drop or rise. and again, it will depend on how far down you want to go. Rapid salinity changes will also affect coralline algae and many of the isopods and copepods in the system, killing them based again on rate of change and extent of the drop and/or rise. Some are very resistant to change, some will be killed simply by removing them from water long enough to dehydrate their surface only to a small extent.

What type of fish are you treating, how big is the tank, what other fishes are in the system, and how long have you had the fish? There may be other treatment options for ich depending on your answers.

HTH

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When using hypo to eliminate ich you need to shoot for a salinity of 12-14 which normally equates to an SG of around 1.009 ... at that level most of the inverts including the infauna within the sand bed and live rock will die off .. however beneficial bacteria will survive.

Heres a link discussing hypo .. might help.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right I thought instead of the quick dips the better way to do it was to lower salinity for a few weeks?

No fish have died of ick yet but I have a couple that are showing a few spots, want to be prepared if I have to and I'm trying to think of the best way to do this, QT the fish or the other stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts