The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and that is all? Good because that's all I've got. I'm thinking about buying some more/better lighting, and getting an AquaC Remora Hang-on Skimmer. I'm trying to work my way up to tank respectability.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If the rock is uncured and you are using it to cycle your tank, I would definatly get that skimmer for the die off and for the long run.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Good light/Good Calcium/ PH/ ALKALINITY levels for Coraline algae to grow all over the rock too. Tell me what size is your tank and Ill give you some lighting suggestions

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tank is a 46 bowfront...and all I've got is a little piece of live rock. I've got a blueleg hermit and two other hermits that are rather large...and one fiji damsel. That is all. I am slowly trying to build this thing into something good, but I must admit to being a little on the hesitant side when talking about reef.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You going to want a reef eventually. I suggest starting its as one now. Do you have a filter besides the skimmer you just ordered? Is the tank drilled? What substrate do you currently have?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an AquaClear500 hanging on back and a Penguin 550 powerhead. I have a crushed aroganite bottom with a layer of sand on top.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
For live rock to thrive you want to get coraline algae to grow on it. to do this elevate the calcium level to between 350-450 and alk to about 9 dkh or higher.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
DrFish33 said:
My tank is a 46 bowfront...and all I've got is a little piece of live rock. I've got a blueleg hermit and two other hermits that are rather large...and one fiji damsel. That is all. I am slowly trying to build this thing into something good, but I must admit to being a little on the hesitant side when talking about reef.
How much live rock are we talking about? For good filtration I would start with at least 40 lbs more would be nice. I don't know if your wanting to add the rock slow what. Live rock is an excellent sorce of bio filtration and the more the better. If you havn't added much live rock I would suggest pvc risers. I didn't learn about them until after my tank was set up and wish I had. Keeps the lr up off the sandbed so it prevent detrius buildup and makes it easier to siphon around the lr.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh...I mean a little bit. I got a piece from a friend. I'm willing to bet it doesn't weigh 3 pounds. I'm too big of a tightwad to buy it at the LFS...they charge like $10.99 per pound. This is why I'm trying to figure out how to get it to thrive...I want it to expand to all of my other base rock.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
nothing more than normal NSW parameters. bacteria is by far the most important component of LR. anything else will come with time.

i only used 1 lb of LR in my 125g system. everything else was base rock.

as for corraline. why does everybody want this stuff. :rolleyes: all you need is NSW levels. 350ppm, alk of 9.

G~

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
quote/: Live rock is an excellent sorce of bio filtration and the more the better.

jenna this is not true . i know we have been taught this but it is wrong . by adding a "bunch" of live rock all you are doing is adding more bio load to the tank . dr.fish would be fine with 10-20 lbs max. you all underestimate the bacteria ! look at geoffs post ! he started with only a 1 lb. piece . bacteria will migrate to the base rock it just takes time . the way geoff has done it is the perfect way ! you don't have to worry about all the die off that way . but you have to be patient .

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So my tiny piece will be fine? I've got it resting between two pieces of baserock. I do need my skimmer soon though? To catch the "die off"?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i would say your fine
gotta consider also that when you add corals they are usually attached to decent sized live rock
i put too much rock in my 55g and its making it hard to place corals
i should have done less. i have 50lbs of base rock and 45 lbs of live rock ontop of the base rock
the liverock you have will seed the base rock fairly quickly
my tank is only 5 weeks old and i can see the base rock really looking "alive"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts