The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live rock question:

when I get my 240 lbs of rock from the lfs do I put it right in my new tank or put it in the 55 gallon and let it cycle first?

·
11,345 Posts
Is that all the rock for the tank? So the tank is empty?? Is it cured?

If all your doing is cycling and not cooking already cured rock, i would do it in the tank. If it is uncured and there is a lot of die off though i would do it elsewhere to save the load on the sandbed(if you are using one).

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the rock is in...I took a 30 gallon tub and took out 30 gallons from the 210 gallon dipped the live figi rock in and it cleaned off the loose stuff and put the rock on in...it worked well the tank is starting to clear out.....oh yeah one more thing the lfs says to take the bioballs and put back in ...everyone says no??????all I did is add a 8-9lb piece of rock in place of the bioballs??did I do right Ill post some pics later...
Thanks for all the help Joe

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
you will be fine with or without the bio-balls. if you removed them then don't worry about putting them back in. with the addition of the rock you may go through another cycle so avoid adding anything for a week or two.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twitterbait said:
you will be fine with or without the bio-balls. if you removed them then don't worry about putting them back in. with the addition of the rock you may go through another cycle so avoid adding anything for a week or two.

so wait a few weeks before we add fish...and the rock in place of the bioballs is good?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Bingo. Bioballs are ok, i never had a problem. but if you don't prefilter the water before it goes to them they will trap crap and cause problems. you should be set and now you can use the bio-ball chamber for something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts