The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just found this very nice LR from my LFS and id like to get it, but wondering if i add it to my tank would it change anything
i have a maroon and 2 percs and a cinnamon, its a 75 if that helps

Brandon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yoshi-22 said:
i have just found this very nice LR from my LFS and id like to get it, but wondering if i add it to my tank would it change anything
i have a maroon and 2 percs and a cinnamon, its a 75 if that helps

Brandon
As already noted it depends on how much you are adding. Also, whether its been cured at the store (if they have it in their system and are skimming it and the live rock has gone through the cycle at the store) and whether you can transport it home in water (there will be less die off that way).

I think there will be some die off no matter what you do - so the tank could go through a mini-cycle if the amount of live rock is a significant percentage (15% or greater) of the live rock that's already in your tank. Of course if the live rock in your tank is recently established then you'll get a more significant cycle.

HTH.

K.M.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Again, it depends on what percentage of your total rock that is. If you only have 30 pounds of rock then you may see a mini-cycle; if you have 100 pounds you won't notice a thing.

Also, based on most recent post it sounds like the rock may have been at the LFS for a while - in which case its more likely to have been cured there (skimmed and had dead parts scraped off) and you'll be in better shape. If you can take along a covered bucket or something to transport the rock in water you'll have very little die off and that help with the mini-cycle also.

Good luck and go for it :)

K.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts