The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone possibly tell me when my live rock will turn to the beautiful colors again. Im just wondering because mine still have brown algea on it.

thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi Yoshi, The pink and purple colors on your rock are coraline algea. As long as you have enough light and calcium, you should be back in no time. I recomend you do a search on coraline.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you know a web site where i can find info about coraline?
I'm looking around, but nothing with info, its all about their experiences and where to get it.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for this
I have 50/50 lights in my tank, is their a better light for my tank?
id like to get better lights but i dont know what to get. Im not investing in corals or anything, just live rock and fish.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
537 Posts
Also, I have had good luck with turbo snails at cleaning the brown diatom off. 50/50 is a way to advertise light color; check the watts of the bulb and shape. For live rock and fish, you will be fine with normal output bulbs. I used them on my tank for a couple years when it was fish only with live rock (FOWLR).
Though, I never had luck with growing coraline algae.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i think you would be fine with 50/50 specially since its a fowlr tank.

how often are you feeding the tank?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
every other day, my clowns go crazy, its fun to watch then.
I feed them brine, regular and one that impoves their immune system? My brother got me that and im like ok ill try it, they like it so, i guess its ok.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Administrator
49,218 Posts
The bulb is fine, you need to make sure you keep the calcium levels up and have some nice healthy coralline to start off with. It should take off after the diatoms pass

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my canopy is falling apart, arghhh! all im having, is like clowns in, do i really need a top? jw Im just mad, im looking all over the canopy and it looks like i cant save it o well, maybe i will just get glass to go over it, if i cant have a open top

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Dough, you said something about making sure you have enough calcium. Is it bad if there is to much calcium ? Or to little ? Also on 37g, how often should liquid calcium be added. Once a week ?

-Paul

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Prismaco said:
Hey Dough, you said something about making sure you have enough calcium. Is it bad if there is to much calcium ? Or to little ? Also on 37g, how often should liquid calcium be added. Once a week ?

-Paul
you should get a test kit for CA. you should keep your CA above 350 ppm. if growin corals 400-420 is better. i would not use additives until you have a test kit.

if you do not have a lot of high CA using critters than weekly water changes could be enough to keep the CA high enough.

ditto for you Yoshi-22- since this is a FO tank the water changes should be enough to keep your CA high enough. it has taken my tank about 6 months for the coraline algae to get really going on the back glass. the good news is that the coraline could be growing underneath all of the diatom algae, granted not that fast, but it should still be there.

patience young reef-hopper.

G~

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ok, guess I will be buying a CA kit this weekend along with building a fuge :D Right now I dont have alot of critters that would need that but I just was curious.

-Paul

·
Registered
537 Posts
what's with the giant red molar on your stand?
AGH OMG MAN!

*walks away laughing, puts the red tooth in the closet- then back again*

That vase has been a heated debate for a couple years now.

There is this local artest that makes these super trippy vases and I scooped that up. A couple years ago I had this guy over to service the A/C system and he says " whats with the big red tooth, are you a dentest" I about died! I pulled the thing down and put it in the closet. After trying to get the tooth image out of my head and being reasured by friends that it looks nothing like a tooth; I brought it out again.

Thanks Jay

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lolol :funny: :funny:sorry :D

btw: not sure how this ended up here, it was supposed to be in the fuge thread.. hmmmm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.