The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aquarium is up and running. I just recently put some dry rock in it (marcoRocks). I am very pleased with the rock shapes and appearance, but I am a bit confused on how I should be stacking them.

I want to create some interesting arches and column formations that the fish can pass through. Nothing extreme, but something unique. I have been experimenting with stacking them together with mediocre results.

I am not sure if it is wise to lean some rocks against the back glass wall. I'm not sure if there is some adhesive or glue I should use. I can see there would be some downsides of gluing/cementing formations together. It might make it hard/impossible to get some fish or snail out of a little nook in the formation. It will make it hard/impossible to change the layout, making it semi-permanent.

I figured there may be some experienced with this that could give me some tips. I will keep reading and trying to stack my rocks.

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
Stacking is an art and can take quite a bit of time to get the rocks just right.

Becuase of this sometimes people will use different methods to hold the rock together instead of just stacking. You will find many threads on it if you use the search. People use PVC, zip ties, reef puddy, and nylon rods (which marco also sells on their site) to do the job. Live rock is SUPER easy to drill. The idea is you lay it all out on dry land, drill it, and put it how you like. Then, depending on the design, either lift it in, or take it apart and rebuild it in the tank.

Stacking against the glass is okay but the glass should not be the primary support of ALL the weight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts