The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have another few questions. I only have a few pieces of live rock right now and plan to get some more i would love since my tank is taller to build up a bit right now i have a huge piece of rock two medium size pieces and a couple branch type. I have it set up fairly nice right now but would like to build so there is a little bit more area that is open to view but shelters some things from the light *those that dont need high light all the time.* One question is, is there anything i can use as a type of shelf to help make this more sturdy i dont wanna have a fish or soemthign topple it over.
Two, when stacking do u stack it touching the back glass or try to keep it in the middle of the tank?
Three, The one filter i have hangs down in the water if i build up some will that effect of the filter I have great flow right now and think ill be trying to build up in the middle right now things are on each side with some open area in the middle id post a picture but i havent found a way yet to do that.
I would like to be able to leave what i have where it is and build up from that maybe adding some in the middle for a sturdier base. No matter what i do the fish will have to redig there caves because of where they are. Any suggestions on how to go about building a nice set up in a tall 26 gallon bowfront. I currently only have 20lbs of live rock and one piece is probably about 15lbs alone :) so i am assuming a few smaller pieces would be best.Thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
A lot of people just carefully stack their rock. I am one of those normally. Others will drill the rock and run acrylic rods or plastic coat hangers into the holes to stabilize it.

You can either stack the rock in the center or against the back glass. Both have worked for me. A tank that is deeper front to back will make keeping it in the center easier.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If when i get to the shop again im thinking if he has another large piece of the live rock ill pick that up to replace the smaller ones on my sand then just work from those, the one i have now the larges is about 6 to 8 inches high has alot of character in the front i was gonna put a large soft coral on the one end of it but from what ive read the softer corals do well in not as much light and i dont want to over do it. Thanks for the input ill probably work along the back wall and more on the side without the filter tube. That might be best. thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.