The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im new to this however have a question regarding live rock seeding. I currently have some "dead rock" and will be getting some live rock to add to eventually make this rock live also. Firstly how long could this make? How much live rock would I need in proportion the dead rock? And how much light will this require approx daily? Any advise would be great :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
+1 to nana! What size tank, how much dead rock? The time can vary depending on the amount of lr that is added to a system... 5 lbs of lr will EVENTUALLY seed 500 lbs.... It is just a matter of do you have the patience for it. Also it does not require any light for this. Actually I would recommend keeping your lights off entirely for the complete duration of the seeding/nitrogen cycle. It will help prevent algae blooms.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi guys, im new to this however have a question regarding live rock seeding. I currently have some "dead rock" and will be getting some live rock to add to eventually make this rock live also. Firstly how long could this make? How much live rock would I need in proportion the dead rock? And how much light will this require approx daily? Any advise would be great :)
Hi Lee:
I'm new to this hobby too but I tell you the way I do:
First I started with dry Rock as well, then I get some premium LR and placed all around the dry rocks.
Also I keep a couple of very nice pieces and start scratch them over the dry rock to disperse the spores over the dry rock
Don't use any light, just the ambient light

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can't comment on the coraline plates since I have never used them.... But I would discourage the use of the nitrogen bacteria. Rushing anything in this hobby normally leads to problems down the road. The dry base rock cleaned well with an old tooth brush in a vinegar/water mixture will do well. Then place the dry rock and live rock in the tank to start seeding. You can put a piece of raw table shrimp in your tank to help jumpstart the cycle and give the good bacteria some kind of food source. Your coraline algae must be seeded, but that can be done easily with a piece of premium coraline covered rock from a trusted friends tank or lfs. Scrape some off of it to get the spores mixed into you water column. They way I introduced it was from my CuC. The shells from the snails have it a lot of times and they wonder all around your tank bumbling on all of The other rock and basically seeding it for you. Rushing it is the key.....when in doubt go slower. If you are trying to decide if you can add another fish...well, if your in doubt...wait. I know a lot of people have added fish as soon as the nitrogen cycle is complete. It may work for them, but I think I waited right at 7 days for my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to all read 0 for that time AFTER the cycle was done. Ensuring that I would have no surprise spikes. The bacteria in you tank will only be enough to process the current bio-load. So when adding things do it slow. Multiple weeks in between. I even waited over a month for some of mine. While your tank is cycling you can use this time to perfect your husbandry and maintenance routine. Go slow. You will not get a presto tank like you see on tv. But above all..... Relax and enjoy the tank. Remember this is supposed to be a hobby. So enjoy It as such.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys, thanks for all of that. I only have a 25 gal tank have just got a about 5lb of lr to add to my rock for seeding and will see how I go. Good that you said about lighting or I would have left that on to help :) I will give it a week or so and see how the tests are coming to maybe get something in there.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Oops forgot about the light question. I did my entire cycling without lights. IMO it helped keep avoid later algae issues.
THere's two schools of thought on this. I feel that you only delay the inevitable and draw out the "uglies" phase of a new tank. But that's only my opinion and in the grand scheme of a tank probably hardly matters either way. :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
I Rushing anything in this hobby normally leads to problems down the road.
I'll never said I was rushing on my cycling. I will do what it takes to do. Even if the ammonia reads '0' I'm not planning to add any livestock in my tank yet.
My only goal now is to populate the dry rocks with coraline algae; and the point of this thread is "How to seed dry rocks". And for that, yes I'm rushing for it, but it will takes a while until it gets to my satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
1lb of LR can seed 10000000lbs of dry rock. actually the number is infinite. what is not are the resources needed to actually feed the organisms that you are "seeding".

run the lights during tank setup. it is easier to remove the phosphates that are in the algae, then the phosphates that are now bound in the calcium carbonate structures because the lights were off. the phosphates are in there, no way around it. the object is to get them out as fast as you put them in.

G~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.