The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
warren ohio
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: i have all my equipmnet to set up my tank. all i need is live sand and rock. for the live sand i am torn between fiji pink or the white sand. also i have been looking at rock. what do you think about the fiji, carbbien and uaniva rock. any help or tips you can give me i would be greatful
thanks
emil santo
warren ohio

·
Registered
307 Posts
askign which is the better live rock is like asking a bunch of high-school girls which kind of purse they like best....too many opinions on the subject to come to a clear answer

imo... go and visit as many local fish stores (LFS) as possible to look at their displays.....DONT BUY, JUST TO BE BUYING SOMETHING BECAUSE LIVEROCK IS EXPENSIVE AND YOU ARE STUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASE....

I bought a Tonga rock 6 months ago....that looked GREAT at the LFS and paid nearly $20/lbs for it (which equaled a $100 rock)......sat in my tank for 1-2 weeks and 90% of all the color DIED-Off (and I had perfect water parameters)....6 months later its regaining maybe 50% of the way it looked like at the LFS....

after the initial 2weeks when the color died-off....I went back to the LFS and asked about an exchange/retrurn and pretty much got the "you're shxt out of luck mister if you want to return it" treatment...and I'm a customer they all know my name when I walk in..... 99% of all LFS dont want liverock back once its out the door. I think returning a brandnew $40,000 car off the lot to the dealer would be easier than returning something to a LFS that has sat in your tank for a week or more.

you live in warren, ohio.... take a weekend day and drive into cleveland (or maybe pittsburgh (boo steelers!!!...had to say that being from cincinnati)) .... and hit-up all the LFS there to see what you like.

BOTTOM-LINE though.... dont expect immediate results on your live rock.... it takes a GOOD year or maybe more, to see some "showroom" quality rock with serious amounts of purple coraline

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I would check out a couple of the online dealers for LR. http://reefscience.com has awesome rock! I bought 60# and then another 40# from them, and it didn't take anywhere near a year to get full coraline growth.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
You can get good deals from online stores. I prefer being able to hand pick my lr so that I know what I'm getting. The lfs I get mine from has a huge display tank with a huge selection. They cure it and will let me take it with water so I have very little die off and the color stays put. Also as if they give a discount for large purchase. The rock I got was $7.99 a pound but because I bought over 20 lbs worth I paid $4.99 a lb.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
If LFS has rock under $5/lb go for it (if its cured).
on-line you can get nice LR for under $4/lb landed to your door. However, you will have to cure it.
Dead or base rock is also sold at under $2/lb...you just need a few small pc of LR to seed it.
Look for people taking tank down in your part of the world...that is the best deal of all...you get cured LR at a great price, and some one getts a little $$$ as they exit the hobby.
What ever you do....DONT PAY $8-10 /lb.or more at a LFS:freak: that just NUTZ!
Live Sand.........get southdown play sand and seed it with a bit of LS from a local reefer.
Good Luck!

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
If it was me choosing what type of rock to get, i would look into the Kaelini or the Marshall Island. I have Fiji in my tank for my base rock then my main rockwork is made up of Marshall Island. I prefer the Marshall of the Fiji for several reasons.

1. Marshall is more porous
2. Marshall has better shapes
3. Marshall is easier to aquascape
4. A 5lb rock of Marshall is probably twice as big as a 5lb Fiji rock. which means you get get away with less pounds of Marshall Island rock and still have the same effect as buying close to 2lbs per gallon of Fiji to support the biological filteration, hence Marshall rock is less dense then that of Fiji.

·
Registered
163 Posts
don't get live sand, a waste of $$ imo. dead sand will seed from the live rock in no time. as far as live rock, you can save a lot of $$ if you get a mix of live rock and reef bones or base rock. just my two cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts