The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

So I went to the local fish store and they told me to cycle my tank quick to add live rock, live sand and quick start…

I have one large piece of live rock that I got from them, I lived 5 mins away so we wrapped it up in wet newspaper and I ran home and dropped it in. They told me if I had that it would automatically be cycled because there will be no die off?

I have some dry rock as well
The live sand I didn't notice any levels spiking
& The quick start??

what is everyones opinion?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
The best thing to do is put an ammonia source in the tank and see how the bacteria handles it. This can be fish food or a piece of table shrimp or pure liquid ammonia. If there is a good amount of bacteria in the tank then it'll process the ammonia quickly, if not then it'll feed the bacteria that's there so it can multiply to the point it can handle the load of a fish.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
It wont automatically cycle as he said. Make sure to get some API test kits. It may help cycle it quicker but like anything it takes time usually. How bigs the tank?

Like Chi said we need to kick off the ammonia in the tank and see how the tank handles it. The process it takes is breaking the ammonia down to nitrite then nitrite becomes nitrates.

Nitrates are handled by us as the maintenance man (water changes) to remove it. The cycle process you are teaching the tank to make all waste (ammonia) become nitrate which you then remove with water changes weekly or bi weekly.

I would assume with some sand and live rock the process may only take a week to cycle but thats the point of the API test kit. Test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and report back :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts