The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I am a new member,
I just gotten a fish tank as a birthday gift. I go to an aquarium close my house to ask how to set up a new fish tank. The first time I come, one adviser told me I do not need a live rock if I have a filter for my tank, they get the same function. However, next day, another girl in the same store said that, I have to have live rock because fishes need house, and shelter. if I don't have live rock, fishes will fight with each others and die...!...I have no idea about it...she tell me to left live rock in every where as shelters..Later she said more, will never sell the fish for me if I don't buy live rocks! So should I buy live rock? I wanna get some salt fishes in my tank.

thanks you guys for help

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
i would find a new store first off, and are you wanting a reef tank, a fowlr (fish only with live rock) or just saltwater fish.
and you do not need to buy all live rock you can buy marco dry rock and a small piece of live rock to seed it.
but to answer the question if is only for fish then a filter is ok but you do need somewhere for fish to hide
if its a fowlr or reef then yes you need rock it acts as your filter
how big is your tank? if under 20 you dont need a protein skimmer water changes are enough but you do need power heads to move the water around.
hope this helps some good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tks for ur answer, I get all protein skimmer water change, power head, corral, and some places for the fishes can hide. I want some clown fishes because 30 gallons tank cannot get more fishes or other salt fishes. The thing seller want me to buy is live rock, and they keep saying the fish need hide behind the live rock...no live rock, no sell fishes...Im so mad abt it.......should I talk w her manager abt it

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Most people use live rock because it functions as filtration and decoration. It is far from mandatory. If you are wanting coral it is nice for the natural look of a reef. But you could have as little or as much as you wanted for that.

When I get a new fish in, I want it to be quaranteened... I just throw a bunch of plastic plants or PVC plumbing pipe in there. Fish do well with hiding places but it can be anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts