The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am new to reef keeping and in fact have not yet started my tank. I have a 65 gallon tank and wanted to put between 50 and 70 lbs of live rock in the tank. I saw this link on another post today entitled "my tank exploded today" Anyway they were talking about rock and this seems to be the cheapest I have seen.

Key Largo Dry Rock
Would this be adequate to start my new tank or will I need to seed this with other live Rock?

Thanks...

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
just a word of advice before you start a tank. WAIT. dont jump in to it. read a lot of post and threads ask tim for some reading material. however i am useing dry rock, with 2 lbs of live rock to make it all live, it will work, it takes time tho, much longer that your normal cycle will last, wait tell u have good stable water and live rock. but sw is a lot of fun, and this is a great form. so have fun.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
It takes a good 4-6 weeks to get to a point of being "live," that is, being colonized with bacteria. You'll see coralline growth in about 2 months. 3 months and it will look just like LR. IIRC, that's about my experience, I might be off about a week or so...

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
if you do add lots of dry rock, throw in a bit of table shrimp to provide amoniea, this extra "bioload" will ecourage the bacteria to grow, it wont speed it up too much but it will make the live rock cycle better and be more heathly

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
im going to wait about 6 months before and corals go in, the rock will all be live after about 2 months, and your cycle will be done after this, i am just going to add fish once my rock becomes live, than ill add corals about 4 months after, and very slowly as the live rock is still developing.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have heard of the shrimp trick but I wasn't sure if this was a good idea or not, the idea of decaying live matter in the tank scared me.
Well it is more humane than the old method of cycling a tank with damsels. Someone on here starts their nitrogen cycle bvy buying ammonium at the grocery store but haven't heard of too many people doing it that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts