The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for when I get my 30 gallon tank :)

Okay, I really want to have some live rock and coral in my tank....my tank is already established and my local fish stores only have partly-cured rock.

How do I finish curing partly cured rock?

Can I finish it in a fishbowl with tank water? (All my spare tanks are being used at the time.)

Also, do any hitchhikers from live rock harm fish?

If I scratch myself on live rock or coral, other than disenfecting the cut do I have to go to the hospital?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
haha, this isnt long at all! you should see some of the other threads on here!

ok, not sure about the curing part, but hitchhikers like brostle worms, feather dusters, etc are fine, and will benefit the system. Hitchikers like flat worms, some nudibranches, or fire worms will damage corals.

and no, you dont have to go to the hospital because of a cut.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
You can finish curing the live rock right in the 30 gallon tank when you get it. You just need some powerheads and a heater and maybe a dead piece of table shrimp or some flake food to get the bacteria to get established on the live rock to be able to accept a bioload of fish and corals.

On a side note, welcome to TRT! From reading your other posts i would suggest a lot of reading and research. The new 30 gallon tank should sit empty with just the live rock, powerheads, and heater for a month to finish curing. Also save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a hydrometer and some basic test kits. ammonium, nitrite, nitrate and ph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts