The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend tore down his tank and I bought 230# of rock from him. Its not the best looking stuff right now. He wasnt the best at maintaining his tank. At one time it was real nice stuff,I believe it is gulf rock and if i remember correctly you cant buy it anymore. Will it come back nicely?, will it wreck my tank?, how should i add it slowly or all at once? any input would really help im worried about these things

·
Registered
210 Posts
when you say "it's not the best looking stuff" what exactly is the problem? is it covered in hair algae? valonia? or just pale and colorless?
If it has big problems like valonia or byropsis or hair algae. scrub all the rock with a very stiff brush to remove the pest algae then place it in a big tub with a few powerheads placed throughout. depending on the temp in your house you may need a heater too.
let it sit for at least two weeks. no light during this time. test for Amonia and Nitrate till you get zero's place it in your tank.

if it is just pale and colorless place it in a tub w/pheads (and heater) and light it well for the same amount of time and watch for new growth/desireables these should be placed right side up when you do your aquascaping in your tank. You should still be testing for a cycle during this time.

if the rock smells like rotting you might need to let it cure for quite some time before adding it to your system, if it is fresh outta his tank you might be able to QT it for only a few days before adding it. this depends on how established your tank is now and what kinds of inhabbitants you have in your system and how delicate they are. without more info I can't really tell you what I would do in your situation.

HTH,
Toy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basicly its pale has some light color(purple,pink) The main thing was detritus everywhere. No algae on it. I was wondering if it even has bacteria in it but it must . when i got done hitting it with a PH in his tank we couldnt see a thing in the tank. My tank is about 9-10 yrs established with lush growths of coraline encrusting and making ledges all over. The onlt problem I have in my tank is nitrates. I started another post on that though if you would to check that out also and give me some words of advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts