The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to raise live brine shrimp as food for my anthias. And how long would the shrimp live in a saltwater tank without being ate?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Or till they end up in the skimmer or filter. I add baby brine every few days now but they dissappear quickly. Some by eating most probly thru filter.

·
Registered
454 Posts
When I add brine shrimp to my tank they usually last about an hour

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
jenajet said:
Or till they end up in the skimmer or filter. I add baby brine every few days now but they dissappear quickly. Some by eating most probly thru filter.
I think most people turn off the power heads and filters while feeding the brine.
Letting a filter capture brine shrimp is not advisable as they will deteriorate rapidly, providing nutrient for nuisance algae.
cowfish said:
do most anthias take to brine shrimp pretty quickly?
Many larger fish can't be bothered with newborn brine (nauplii) but almost all fish go nuts for adult brine.
When I put adult brine shrimp in a tank, they last only minutes, except for the seahorse tank where the horses take a while longer than other fish.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I Have a 2 liter bottle setup that dumps a few every few minutes.. Let it run for a couple of hours both for the fresh tank and the salt tanks. IF! they make it to the rock they have a pretty good change at staying alive for quite a while. I used the redneck night vision the other night and I think I need to slow down on the the 2 liter auto feeder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts