The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have little red dots on the glass of my tank. They are too small to see well like 1/24 of an inch or something like that. They seem to move a lot and pretty quickly. Any ideas of what they might be? I've been worrying that they might be flatworms, but I don't know what flatworms look like or how big they are supposed to be.

Thanks for any help,
Megan

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds like flatworms to me....I've had problems with them in the past, seems like there are more of these with increased feedings, for corals and fish. I usually stop putting anything in the tank, except top off water, for 5 or 6 days, and then siphon out any I see left....I think once you get them, you're usually stuck with them. I have seen chemicals to get rid of them, but heard they have adverse affects on corals, fish, and inverts......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn, I was hoping they weren't flatworms. BTW when I say they move fast I mean for them being so small. Really they move at a snails pace. So why are flatworms bad? What do they do? What do they eat?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
here's a pic of some flatworms:

I would recommend doing a search with the search button in the header above. We have lots of threads on flatworms and various ways to get rid of them.

For now I can recommend cutting back on feeding, attracting them to one side of the tank with a flashlight (after lights out) and siphoning them out.

They arent usually harmful to the tank, but they are ugly, and can reproduce and reach plague proportions.

HTH-
Broke

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they actually don't look a lot like that... more like little bugs. But they are really too small to tell for sure.

Thanks,
Megan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wonder if they could be pods???? Do they look like super tiny shrimp? If they do, they are pods - harmless and a good sign in your tank! HTH

-Big Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts