The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got em.

I am breaking the tank down that is currently affected and splitting it between two new systems, a sps only and a sps only.

From what my search just brought up it seems that Interceptor is the favorite remedy.

Input anyone???

Can i safely move stuff from the infected tank that is going into an LPS onbly system and just treat the stuff that is staying in the sps system??

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Make sure to do three treatments over 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Didnt kill anything in my tank but the stupid bugs I love Interceptor.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
INTODEEP said:
I would also check this out. http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Treatment.html It reccomends things a bit differently.
Hmmmm. Thats pretty interesting. I just last night did the treatment for week two under the THREE WEEK program. i DID cycle it for 12 hours incidentally after having a little mnore confidence than last week that the stuff wasnt going to hurt anything.

However, if this article is accurate when it says that LRB's can only survive FIVE days without a host then dosing your entire system is kind of a joke. That fact(if it IS a fact) changes EVERYTHING. I would have just used a quarantine tank with all the corals in question and nail it for 24 hours and wait a week to return to the display tank......problem gone. Knowing that would have saved me lots of time, salt and countless numbers of needlessly exterminated pods.

Can anybody confirm that???

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
you never know when a frag has fallen off of a coral and into your rockwork, with 3 or 4 bugs hiding on it, only to pounce back on the colonies when you put them back in.

your best bet was to do what you did, and from ehre on out dose all incoming corals, acropora and otherwise (the can hitchhike) before putting anything in your display. as corals are not affected by the active ingredients in interceptor, i mix a 5 gallon bucket with half a pill and soak the new aquisitions in the bucket for a couple of hours and that has taken care of things just fine. follow a regimen like that and you should never see them again.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would just call your local vet. Mine gave it to me without hesitation after explainingmy problem and that it is widely used in our hobby but she did write up a quick disclaimer she made me sign before selling it to me.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest, i am right at this moment of the belief(belief is too strong a word.....let just say Im thinking strongly), that little red bugs really arent a problem but a symptom.....a symptom of a coral that is not as healthy as it should be.
I know that in my mixed 80 gallon tank I have roughly 75 sps corals(nearly half of these acros) ranging from 2" frag size to softball size colonies. When i frist noticed a few of the red bugs a couple of months ago, they were all opening up, just some not to their potential. I killed the red bugs(and many other things) and in the last couple of weeks i have had both RTN and STN in 2 large colonies and about 8 other specimens. I can add other corals to this list every day. I have fragged the large colonies and It appeared to be successful for the most part at first, then about ten days after fragging, the fragged corals in question....about 25 1-3" frags have RTN'd and died.......all but a handful of them. This was not the work of LRB's as they are dead, along with somethiung else that was holding the AEFW's at bay, which I have no doubt in my mind now, were the original culpits causing my corals to being unhappy, the LRB's were just along for the ride.
So what died with the Interceptor treatments, or what happened with the Interceptor treatments, that allowed the AEFW's to freely and quickly wreak havoc that they were slowly wreaking before???

I dont know for sure as what I have performed is surely not a controlled experiment but regardless, I haveclearly proven for myself that while not discounting the LRB's as a problem, they surely were not my biggest problem and the process of killing them off brought my real problem to front and center, as well as has enabled it to freely kill.
There is the the notion that the acro crabs protect acros from AEFW's. Well they were surely killed by the interceptor treatments.

????

I think i have no choice at this point but to remove all of the softies/lps from the tank and nuke the tank with levamisole and just change water lots to try to overcome the toxins that surely will be created. I am moving all of my sps into their own sps only tank and i would rather my corals die that move this problem into my new system which i have spent more than a little bit of time and money creating.

There are more than a few people who have aefw's I believe, they just dont know it yet.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=688833&perpage=533

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=756327

·
Registered
317 Posts
LRBs do bother corals.

I recently purchased this guy: http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/83-acro.jpg

First month here he colored up and began extending polyps; looked tons better than in the store. I also have RB's, however, and now a few days after noticing the RBs on this new [small] colony, the polyps are going away, and the coral is beginning to have small amounts of slime "here and there".

It seems pretty cut and dry that the RBs are pestering this colony.

I plan to dose interceptor shortly. Due to them obviously affecting this new colony, I plan to do it sooner rather than later.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didnt say that they DIDNT bother/pester corals. There is no doubt that they do damage, as well as no doubt that we dont want them in our tanks. I simply stated that Interceptor has a greater impact on our tanks than we are aware of, and prevention is of utmost importance so we dont have to dose our entire systems with drugs that have been marginally tested at best for a marine application.

It seemed pretty cut and dry to me before i dosed with Interceptor that the LRB's was my problem as well, and I was basing this on about 30 different acros, with only a couple fo them not opening up fully becasue of what i thought at the time was all the result of the little red bugs.

The "pestering" the LRB's can do to acros compared to what AEFW's can do is like stubbing your toe bad enough that it bleeds compared to blowing your foot off with a grenade.

I think the reality of it is that we dont really know exactly what the LRB's do or are capable of doing long term, just as we dont know a lot about how we go about treating for them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts