The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking off purchasing a new pump to maybe setup a spraybar in my 75 gallon. Im thinking of either a little giant or one of the gen x. Anyone have experience with any of these? I want something really really quiet. I was also thining of maybe a mag 18 but I hear they are noisy, so I decided against them.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Mag's are noisy. I have a GenX PCX 55 driving my skimmer, it is audiable, but the rushing water is louder, I can't hear my pump over the noise of my tank. What makes them kinda loud is vibration through the pipe, and the fan. The first you can fix by using rubber hose right off the pipe for an inch or two, the second you can't do anything about.

My friend has a few little giants, and they are about as loud as my pump GenX. The quietest pumps you will find are ones without fans IMHO.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if you are looking for quiet there is really only one choice. Velocity pumps. they do heat the water a bit, but this is why they are so quiet. these are the only pumps i use if the pump is going to be in a room with a person in it. :D

G~

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a mag 12 on my 110RR that is in the living room, pump is in the cabnet below the tank, and the only time i hear it is if the tv is off, very little sound, and less power usage that the pumps you have suggested. just my opinion, good luckwith your setup.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
VWD said:
They all seem the same to me, I hear water more then I do any of the pumps
Yeah that is true about the water hearing it over the pump. With my over flow i drilled my drain pipe so behind my overflow there is only 2" of water at all times so you hear a slight water fall noise but i did this so nothing can sit back there and cause nitrate problems.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts