The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
45 gallon with 196w PC light/aqua c skimmer/wet dry with sump/two maxi jet 1200 powerheads
FISH i already have a yellow tang(small)

you can click on each piture.........it is a link to the web site and description
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Bicolor Pygmy Angel (this is a hard desision because it might nip coral)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Percula Clownfish</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Inverts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Sally Litefoot Crab (maybe two , but i doubt it)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Caribbean Feather Duster x 2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Assorted Mushroom Rock Large </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Golden Yellow Polyp </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Large(i heard you should have two, but??)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Pin Cushion Urchin </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Toadstool Leather coral large</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Cladiella Coral </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>there is a few other soft corals that i like.........Cultured Leather Coral , Colonial Leather Coral , Capnella Kenya Tree Coral all the ones i am sticking with are classified "hardy as heck" so i shouldnt screw it up......and of coarse most of these are not for months but i want to do my research

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
looks like a great list to me!! good work! there was something about the sally light foots that i dont remember, they kill other shrimp? other craps, something that was bad, stopped me from gettin one, cant remember though.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
a pretty good list. the bicolour angel is one of the hardes angels to keep though. i would not get one of these. if you are really wanting an angel check out some of the Genicanthus spp of angels. may not be as pretty, but are reef safe.

sally crabs can become opportunistic when they get big if they do not have enough algae to eat.

G~

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok good to know so lets scrap the crab..........i heard craps are good scavengers though so i want one but what would be good............when i went onto www.thatfishplace.com i dont remember seeing a angel with that description unless i just dont know that terminology...........i do like angels though............i had a regel angel for years in my fish only which lived to the disbelieve of my lfs

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also i understand that these coral and feather dusters get some food from the light, but that they also should be filter fed..........would do u feed the coral and feather dusters on this list

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
the corals should be fine without food, but the feathers are strickly filter feeders, they are worms, there are lots of products that are just great. phytoplankton and zooplankton are good beginners, among many other prepared foods. as for the angels, maybe a coral beauty? flame angel? or a cherub angel, thats just three i can think of, check liveaquaria.com they have a dwarf angel section, and look for some that are easy to keep.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I love my feather. They do filter. I add some phyto to my blender mush and everyone seems fine. I also like the yellow polup plan to add one myself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Feather Dusters are strictly filter feeders and don't benefit from light. I would go with a dose of DT's phytoplanton or target feed it with the same stuff about once every 1 or 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so the feather duster food is a liquid that is just put in the tank.......floats around and the filter feeders just kinda suck it up

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well it looks like jenajet beat me to the post by one minute, she has a good idea to. Experiment with homemade foods and have Fun!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yea, phytoplanton is an organism like a microscopic plant that benefit from light you can get it bottled or you can get zooplankton, about the same stuff just not photosynthic.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your tank, once established, will produce its own types of microscopic organisms that the Feather duster will eat so don't go overboard with the bottled stuff.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does anyone have a star............i saw a sand sifter star that look cool, is reef safe, and not too big

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep. I even have a little duster that hitched with my hammer. Broke off his rock and watchin him grow.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
jenajet said:
Yep. I even have a little duster that hitched with my hammer. Broke off his rock and watchin him grow.
give it a couple months, your gonna have a ton of them.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
the one thing that concerns me is that you already have a yellow tang. yellow tangs can become very aggresive/territorial. This can usually be avoided when the yellow is added last to the tank but seeing how you have him in there already i would watch anyother fish that you add in after him. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
ionracing said:
45 gallon with 196w PC light/aqua c skimmer/wet dry with sump/two maxi jet 1200 powerheads
FISH i already have a yellow tang(small)

you can click on each piture.........it is a link to the web site and description
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Bicolor Pygmy Angel (this is a hard desision because it might nip coral)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Percula Clownfish Nice Community Fish</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Inverts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Sally Litefoot Crab (maybe two , but i doubt it) Bad For Corals </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Caribbean Feather Duster x 2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Assorted Mushroom Rock Large I have these and they are a good beginner coral</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Golden Yellow Polyp I also have these they are also a good beginner coral </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Large(i heard you should have two, but??) Yes Two are good they are peaceful with each other.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Pin Cushion Urchin They will eat the Coraline Alage from your rocks</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Toadstool Leather coral large Can't Help you here </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD>Cladiella Coral Can't help you here </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=55></TD><TD width=5></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>there is a few other soft corals that i like.........Cultured Leather Coral , Colonial Leather Coral , Capnella Kenya Tree Coral all the ones i am sticking with are classified "hardy as heck" so i shouldnt screw it up......and of coarse most of these are not for months but i want to do my research

Just my thoughts. It is always goos to do the research.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts