The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the selection of shops available in Rochester is pretty small. I need to buy a tank in the next couple of weeks and want to do some shopping. Can anyone give me some names of some great shops outside of Rochester that are worth taking a trip to? Any big warehouses that have a large selection of tanks to look at.

I have been talking about getting another reef tank since I moved here from California but my wife has not been for the idea and I have finally talked her into it. In California I had 15 thanks at one time (most in the garage) but the wife was not too happy. I have promised I will not get any beyond the one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well, if you plan on sticking to the promise to your wife of only getting one, I'd suggest it be one you can do LOTS with! I ended up with 4 before I moved from Minnesota.

Look on the threads here. I remember someone mentioning one of the shops in the TC area having a truckload tank sale, possibly this weekend. Also, there's a couple of people on this board that are getting out of the hobby. You may be able to pick up a tank really cheap! (Of course, that'll be the ONLY thing in this hobby that's "cheap"!)

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
> Hi David
> > The June Specials for reef ready tanks are 210gal $500.00 all-
> > glass,125gal perfecto $315.00,90gal perfecto $210.00 tops are extra
but
> > on special. Let me know if you have any questions

Stands are also on special........that 90 for $210 is a deal and its 4' tank.

WOF is doing a truck load this weekend, and forest lake pets have the best every day price.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is WOF and Forrest Lake Pets? Sorry I have had my head down in work I don't know the area around Rochester.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
WOF is in Minneapolis. 90min drive
FLP is North of Minneapolis..2 1/2 hr drive.

the prices i posted are local from FAAS Pet...

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is FAAS the one in Zumbro Falls? That is all I could find when I was looking for FAAS Pets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some places in the cities.

There are quite a few places in the cities, WOF, and Something Fishy, Something Fishy "used to" (4 years ago) have one of the best selections of corals, live rock and saltwater fish, the fish were healthy, they garunteed the fish, and I never lost anything (other then my great kalkwasser disaster of 2000) that I bought from them, they had many mature fish as well... ~18in long picasso trigger that I had an instinctual desire to kill, boy was he an violent one, he would pick up CC substrate chunks and spit them at customers walking by, and the tank showed serious signs of his extreme displeasure for everything air hoses and the like all chewed up... Anyway off topic, Something Fishy if they are still in business and have not deteriorated, If I am not mistaken it was owned by a Marine Biologist... (forgive my SP mistakes, I am a computer nerd not an english major.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to Something Fishy and picked up my octopus yesterday. The people who work there are very nice. I had a custom tank made by them with holes drilled out the back so it was easier to seal up. I went in on friday and ordered the octopus and picked it up yesterday. Thats what I call service! If they don't have what you want they order it and comes in very fast. http://www.somethingfishy.info/index.html

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will have to check them out. I went to Madison this weekend and there are some really nice shops out here!

·
Registered
609 Posts
You guys might want to check out Ocean Devoting in Savage (just west of Burnsville a few miles on CR42). It is owned by a hobbiest and Ed from Something Fishy is also there. You couldn't ask for 2 nicer people to deal with. They are still getting situated but it gets better everytime I go there. They have a good selection that will only get better "in season".

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
hink said:
You guys might want to check out Ocean Devoting in Savage (just west of Burnsville a few miles on CR42). It is owned by a hobbiest and Ed from Something Fishy is also there. You couldn't ask for 2 nicer people to deal with. They are still getting situated but it gets better everytime I go there. They have a good selection that will only get better "in season".
I agree, corals are best free from other reefers, buying from other reefers, buying from home shops like JnS, others, on-line, and if you like shopping at a LFS, then OD seems to have the :thumbup: from all the people in the know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts