The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
crap each of those are in my 12 gal nano, guess im making a trip back to the lfs, wonder why flame angels made it, thought those were pretty hardy easy to keep.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure that it was a CopperBand Butterfly that I had been looking at. :(

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
I didn't see High-Jumping Jawfish on that list!!!:blob:

Dick:)

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
WOW there are alot of buterfly fish on that list. Mandarin are very easy to keep. An established tank with live rock and some copopods is all you need. I agree with most all other fish for the submitted reasons.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
as much as i agree with that list.........alot of that list is BS..........its all the single fish............i had a regel angel for years in my fish only ...........other then that i do not know anyone else that kept one alive...........

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
WOW...so what fish CAN I have!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I thought this list was prety comprhensive. I also didnt care for some of the selected fish but atleast it can give new comers someplace to start other that trusting the LFS.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
It's an interesting list... some I agree with, some I don't. Much of it is subjective - and therein lies the problem.

The biggest issue I have is sustainability of wild stocks. If it's rare in the wild, let it be. Once a fish is removed from the ocean it's ecologically "dead" whether it lives for a minute or a decade.

Personally I don't stock what are considered to be "rental items" (things that are typically short-lived for various reasons), but I don't believe in legislating such things - it should be up to the individual (hobbyist, store, importer, etc) whether they choose to buy them or not.

This subject is discussed ad-nauseum on an industry-related forum - and some have tried to compile different "lists" for different reasons, depending on their agendas.

It really does boil down to hobbyist responsibility and researching the creatures they wish to keep and choosing to keep them in the best possible scenario, or not keeping them at all.

My Tiera Batfish does just fine - and has for many years. He's spent the last 2 years with me in a 1000-g aquarium and survived having his eye removed for him by an Undulated Triggerfish.... :rolleyes:

Many hobbyists have figured out how to keep seahorses successfully - foods available for them have improved in recent years.

Venomous fish that are otherwise adaptable should be fine *as long as* the purchaser is aware of the dangers and is willing to accept personal liability for themselves and those around them, should someone have a "close encounter".

The list is both over-cautious, and "incomplete" in my opinion. No corals are listed (Goniopora, Cataphyllia for example), no Flame Scallops... and it does list some fish that many are able to keep with great success.

It's a decent guideline - but IMO nothing of this sort should be "legislated" unless it involves sustainable capture - whether that means that chemicals are used, or the species are captured to a point where the numbers in the wild decline as a result.

JMHO

Jenn

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,723 Posts
Huh, I have a fish on that list.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=468 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width=135>Christmas Wrasses</TD><TD width=187>Halochoeres species</TD><TD align=middle width=88>Diet, Stress</TD><TD align=middle width=48>A</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
A means it should never be kept in captivity period.

Seems to be doing well for me, and I had not heard anything like this about it before I bought while researching the fish.

Interesting,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sooooo... does anyone have an opinion on whether I can have a CopperBand Butterfly or not?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Copperbands eat anenome's and Feather dusters don't they? I don't think they are "reef safe" but I've been wrong before :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts