The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
VEry interesting. As a flyfisherman as well as a business owner in the industry, i can attest to the damage that can be done. Not so much from aquarium dumps but even just from people putting fish in sytems they dont belong. There are a couple of lakes near me that used to hold large populations of very large trout. Bass being introduced to these water s in the last ten years has made the 10-20 lb trout that used to be commonplace now a rarity.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I do not dump my fish or do anything against the law. I also do what ever is suggested by my heros the U.S. Fish and Wildlife. With that being said I have a question in regards to the introduction of spieces. In the long run does it really matter? Consider plate tectonics, all the land masses will eventually come together in a billion or so years anyway and spread "invaders" throught the north american continent. Survival of the fittest is the name of the game. So if we introduce something like lionfish now what difference does it make in the future when the pacific ocean collapses and they are pushed into the atlantic.

·
11,345 Posts
Bubbashrimp said:
I do not dump my fish or do anything against the law. I also do what ever is suggested by my heros the U.S. Fish and Wildlife. With that being said I have a question in regards to the introduction of spieces. In the long run does it really matter? Consider plate tectonics, all the land masses will eventually come together in a billion or so years anyway and spread "invaders" throught the north american continent. Survival of the fittest is the name of the game. So if we introduce something like lionfish now what difference does it make in the future when the pacific ocean collapses and they are pushed into the atlantic.
I think that it is VERY different when nature decides to create a disaster vs us doing it ourselves.

I dont want to get this off topic but its kind of like saying that nuclear war is ok because were just going to get destroyed by a meteor anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why do you think lion fish are a disaster? Is it because they pose a danger to humans? How about humans we have spread like eurasian water milfoil have we not?

Both are preventable in some people eyes, But more importantly that is what I am saying CONTIENTAL DRIFT IS NOT!!! PREVENTABLE

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There is a reefer at another forum that lives in the Bermuda Islands and he also catched a lionfish at the beach. He kept it knowing that that was not originally from the area. Aquarist must be more responsible and not release fish in local waters.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi, I am back, had to pick up my daughter at gymnastics. You mean my plate tectonics idea? So in you mind contenential drift would be "mother nature" and it is has the right to produce or destroy life(megalodon).

·
Registered
176 Posts
I propose building a fence. One that could withstand Continential Drift(CD). So we can forever segregate flora and fauna from different regions of the world...Does this sound silly to anyone else?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bubbashrimp said:
I propose building a fence. One that could withstand Continential Drift(CD). So we can forever segregate flora and fauna from different regions of the world...Does this sound silly to anyone else?
You're killin' me...

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
At this point, what's done is done.

Question, though: could releasing just a few lionfish into the waters off the East coast produce a population like this? In other words, are we sure this is a man-made event?

·
11,345 Posts
Honestly, although i typically am sarcastic, and can get drastically misunderstood at times with the written word(like i hope is happening here with you), i havent portrayed sarcasm here as of yet.

If you truly believe inside that we can carelessly play by the same rules as mother nature and take no heed to our actions that have a negative impact on the environment, based on what mother nature is pre-determined to do in the future, then i have nothing further to say here within the confines of TRT. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts