The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, they're so cute. I must have one!!! Wow, look, I found one. And another, and another, and another. Wow, they get big fast! More? Oh my gosh! They're everywhere!
Should they stay or go? Can I share with anyone???? What are the pros and cons of having them? Ive only seen one on the glass. All the others are on the live rock.

Suggestions???

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I started with one in my tank, and now I've got numerous big ones... I've never really researched them, but heard they are very beneficial to a reef tank and we should consider ourselves lucky yo have them. They will propogate to fill the needs of the tank, so expect more to be showing up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow, how do you get those in your tank? by chance? or luck?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
They come in on LR. Or if you want, you can come to my tank and I will give you a few. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any idea on how well they ship? As my population continues to grow, I'll have plenty to share. Well, Im releived they are not "bad" hitchhikers :D

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Nicole, they are great for eating hydroids - many seahorse keepers who feed live artemia nauplii have a problem with hydroids, and those little boogers just chomp 'em down!

I'll take a few!

Jenn

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats a hydroid?

Well, I'll be sure to bring them to the next meeting!!!

Ray,
Thanks again for the trade. Everything is doing great!!!! Sorry about the rush but the lady parked next to us was none too happy with us and 2 cars were vying for our parking place. Wish we would have had a bit more time. Between you and Lise, I got 23 frags yesterday!!!!!! Wooo Hooo!!!!!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Hydroids are little pests - they start as jellies or little "bugs" on the glass - small as the head of a pin, usually a dot with little "legs" all around. They will grow into polyp-like colonies, they look something like tiny brown button polpys. They pack a powerful sting and can eat dwarf seahorses and/or seahorse fry.

There are conflicting opinions regarding whether hydroids are transmitted through the shell casings on brine shrimp. From personal experience, I never had a single hydroid when I decapsulated my brine eggs (melted the hard outer shells off with bleach) before I hatched them, but after reading that hydroid transmittal was a "myth" I stopped decapsulating my brine eggs, and lo and behold I somehow aquired hydroids! Count me in the group that believes they come in on brine eggs!

Limpets eat hydroids. They will also eat algae.

Love your limpets!

Jenn

·
Registered
662 Posts
when we had our 10 gal, we had a several of limpets...we had one heckuva time keeping coraline on the rocks...best I could tell it was the limpets eating it...we eliminated them as we found them and the coraline started returning to the rock....
I have seen several places and people comment that they are good to ahve in the tank....I found that for us they were detrimental.....HTH

bob

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
There are different kinds of limpets. The limpets I have, I have never seen munching on coraline. So, I have good ones. their mother taught them well. ;)

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
" Whats a hydroid?"
They are a pain in the reef ;)
sorry I couldn't resist, its my best feature
Kewl on Limpets, neat little critters :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.