The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came up a couple days ago, and I wasn't so concerned but I just found another one on a cerith so I'm worried enough to start an actual thread for it. I'm a new mom, so you know how it is ;)

It's like a hard barnacle right by his face that has a part go in and out of it in a fast, steady pulsing motion. The pulsing part on this one is not as bright red as the smaller one on my nerite. It kind of looks like a fan rather than the worms or filaments I've seen in the Hitchiker guides, like its throwing a little net out over and over. Not just a startle response, or waving around like the pulsing xenias, it goes all the way into its tube each time.

I would just pick them off, but if it's a friendly I want to encourage them as I don't have much life it the tank yet and if it's not I kinda want to know what I'm up against and be sure not to spread it. Idk if he noticed cause he is getting around the glass no prob, but if it grows much it might interfere.

This is a link to video of the littler one on the nerite, the little volcano at 11:00 on his shell [youtube] and the pic below is the larger one, it's the lighter piece between the camera and where his shell makes a point by his head

Attachments

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Did you say it casts a net, does it look a little like snot? Coming out of a hard tube? Might be a vermetid snail. Google pics. They are ok, but they are unsightly. I classify them as NCMF... Non-charismatic macro fauna.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, it's actually kind of charismatic, in a micro fauna way :)
I prolly just think barnacle cause that's one of the 4 ocean creatures I can id. The vermetids I looked at had like a string that came out? That's what's weird about this guy, it's a regular pulse, like a heartbeat. The part that comes out is sort of a stick, that branches at the end, so not really a net. More like if you stuck your arm out and splayed your fingers to grab something? But that part is the same length as the tube, maybe 1cm. Not a long string like vermetids have.

It is hard, and seems to be on its way to tubeness, but short still. It's def getting bigger, but the snail can still move his head no prob, so I'm just kinda seeing where it goes.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Y'know, I think you guys are right. I looked at an actual barnacle on YouTube and its just like mine!
When rob said it the first time it didn't click, cause I think of barnacles as the crusty things on the bottom of a boat, not an animal that eats and stuff :)
Aw, he's really cute! I hope he sticks around for a while, and I'm thrilled it's not some terrible tank-destroyer
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, not much to see yet fishy. Couple snails and a barnacle is all.

Yeah rob, I'm thinking tanks that are established enough to provide the tiny planktons or whatever might have a predator in them? I had thought for a second about getting some filter feeder food but I think I'll focus on more charismatic critters :)

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
cheap - good news for your barnacles... I had noticed one of my nerites had 4 little barnacles on it's shell several months ago... this morning I decided to go snatch a few snails out of my tank at home to bring to work to start cleaning up the diatoms... I grabbed 5 dwarf ceriths, then I grabbed 2 nassassarius, and 1 nerite... the nerite I grabbed just happed to be the one that has the barnacles on it's back... after getting them in my work tank I see the barnacles are still alive... so it appears they've lived at least several months in my tank (maybe that's a sign that my tank is really dirty?)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool! I bet your workmates get a kick out of it.

I don't know if mine can stay much longer, it's pretty close to the ceriths face. the one on the nerite died :( he likes to chill at the water line, I think it dried out.
I'm trying to clean up a bunch of gross sand I scooped off the beach and I found a little cerithy guy in the bucket. maybe some baby barnacles in there too

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
my nerites go out of the water too, doesn't seem to have had an effect on the barnacle... the barnacle hasn't really increased in size from when I saw it several months ago, but can still see it's alive because it's sticking it's feelers out to grab food, so your snail will probably be OK... and even in the long run, if you could get barnacles growing and thriving in your tank I'd be willing to sacrifice the snail for something not many people have growing in their tank =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts