Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all im having is fish and live rock, thats all

just wondering if the lights did something to the tank

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If all you plan on doing is fish and rock light isn't that big of a deal. I would go with standared NO bulbs. I have 2 40w NO bulbs over my 90 and it looks good. I have a 10k daylight and actinic I run for 7 hours a day.

HTH's

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
I'm guessing the question is does a FOWLR need special lighting. The answer to that is simple NO Fluorescent lighting (6700k or 10K even 50/50) is sufficient. If you plan to get corals then you should think to upgrade to VHO, Halides, or PC depending on space and $$ limitations

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
Yes, standard NO flourescent lighting in whatever spectrum you desire is sufficient. But if you have the coinage to throw at it, I think VHO looks very nice over even a FO tank. Of course, then there is usually extra algae to deal with... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry again guys, i havent been to this board in a long time and i keep on hitting new thread. My old thread was about what metal halide lights do. all im haveing is live rock and fish, is metal halide lights worth even buying for my tank.

sorry again about the waste of threads.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if you dont plan to ever put in hard corals dont bother wasting the cash on metal halides. fish merely respond to the light cycle. but they dont feed off the light as the hard corals do.

vho's do make your fish look nicer as they bring out the colors more. but you'll do fine with NO flourescents (cheapest there are)

a blue and a 10k daylight will do fine. but the blue isnt necessary. though it is nicer. as you can adjust yourfish to the light. by turning on blue first, then white an hour or so later.

it's sort of like, imagine being asleep in bed, and someone walks in and turns on a bright light right in your face. dont like it do ya :) same thing with fish. the blue doesnt shock them so much, then turn on the white later. also as someone mentioned, with No's you wont deal with as much algae.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts