The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything in my 220 gallon sps tank somehow seems to take on a green tint in one form or another after a while. Even the pink table I bought from Bill is getting green highlights. The blue/grey coral I bought from Dirk is getting some green, Etc.Etc. I have 3-400 watt Metal Halides and 2-6' VHO actinic over the tank. The bulbs I run are 10,000k on the ends and 20,000k in the center. The ends are E-ballast and the center is a PFO. Does anyone else seem to have a similar experience? A bonus is my light blue corals sometimes darken/deepen in color. Most brown corals I put in eventually turn green. This has happened seven times to my brown corals (green is better than brown anyway). I leave the VHO actincs on for about 17 hours and the rest for 8-10. I think it might have something to do with the extended time the actinics are left on in conjunction with the intensity of the halides.

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that have anything to do with the 150 gallon macroalgae refugium? Would that tint the Zoozanthellae?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I run 20K Radiums on blueline e-ballast exclusively for 2 years. Prior to that ran 10K ushios on the same ballast. While I can't comment on the 10Ks too much because I can't remember if I had anything that was blue to begin with when running but with the 20K IME: Blue is very hard to maintain. Usually will end up either green or blue. Never stays blue. So far to keep blue my experience is use Iwasakis or Double ended 10Ks........

·
Registered
210 Posts
Even with the difference in spectrum from what I understand blue Zooanthelle are blue, and green Zooanthelle are green. So if that is true then you would need to introduce more blue Zooanthelle into your system for your corals to uptake the original kind of zooanthelle. I would of course have no blinking idea on how to do that if daves right about lighting not fostering the blue ones in your tank. interesting situation though let us know what you do.

oh yeah, I dont think macroalgae host zooanthelle they use chloraphils for thier green color i think.
Thnx,
Matt

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but I am under the philosophy that Zoo is not what makes the coral a certain color. I tend to believe that the color is the coral protecting the zoo from damage possibly to UV or just certain spectrums of light.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My understanding is that while there are different strains of zooxanthellae that prefer different light levels (and who knows, maybe there are even different strains in different species of animals???), zooxanthellae are, as far as i know, all basically brown in color. As David pointed out, the various colors of our corals (other than brown) are pigments the coral makes itself. The fluorescent green and orange colors, for example, come from special fluorescent protiens made by the corals or anemones.

The zooxanthellae are not directly involved in producing these colors. Stressed bleached corals and anemones that have lost their zooxanthellae are no longer brown.... their basic color is white...but such bleached corals and anemones normally retain their other pigments. Without the brown of the zooxanthellae the colors of corals and anemones can be brilliant. For example, there was a badly bleached rose anemone at World of Fish earlier this summer that was white with incredibly brilliant hot pink tentacle tips. The zooxanthellae were gone, but the pink pigment remained.

Bill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Guys for clearing that up for me,
I have a question or two on the bleaching part, If an orange coral for example expells its zooanthellea it should be really bright orange? why then when I have had SPS bleach they go white not super bright. I understood the anemone analogy and white translucent with bright tips seems to make alot of sense. are the zooanthellea always present in our tanks? If one really bleached anemone was put into a tank by itself with proper lighting and water quality would it still be able to color up?
TIA,
Matt

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
My guess is that expelling the zoo is a result not a cause.

Perhaps the coral out layer gets damaged and turns white thus allowing the zoo to get damaged. In the case like Bill mentioned where the tips are still may have color probably this is the reason it can recover because eventually the zoo can multiply but if the entire coral bleaches probably spells dooms day.......

Again, only a guess......

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
hey guys-
if you have borneman's "aquarium corals" check out pages 52-55
he put together a decent discussion about coral pigmentation...
but it sounds like ya'll were/are on the right track anyways!
what that means for stan?
lets marinate on that...
tg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts