The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would 4 65w pc's be good for my 30g? i want to be able to keep almost anything. also how about clams would this be ok or will i have to add a mh.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I think your lighting system would be great for just about everything except some Acro corals and clams! I would put in a MH bulb if you want clams and some Acro sps corals!:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think a good combination would be 2-65w Actinic PC lights and a 175w 10K Halide lamp.
Then you'll be able to keep anything.

I started out with 220w of PC lighting and just recently upgraded to a halide/pc combo and there is no comparison at all to light intensity... I'm much happier (and so are the corals) with the halide.

You can get a retrofit kit or get the DIY parts from HelloLights for pretty cheap.

That's my recommendation anyway... but whichever route you choose, try to keep your white and actinic bulbs at a 1:1 ratio in wattage (or pretty close to that)... it gives the nicest color IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is possible to keep SPS under PC's. It will depend on how deep your tank is and where you place them in the tank. I have not kept clams under PC so I dont know if it can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts