The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
below is a bad pic of a new 29 gal set up for about a week
I'm checking out some different lights in this pic the right side is a repti-glo 2.0 from an old turtle tank looks bright at top but starts fading about 6-8" deep on the left is a standard 13 watt soft white spiral type screw in, I was thinking about checking home depot this weekend and see if i can find day light 13 watts puts out the brightness of a 40 I can make a hood with 4 day light and two black or blue dont know if these lights will be good for corals don't know any thing about the spectrum but this seems the cheapest i can get. any one have an oponion on this? I beleave each light has its own ballist

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trying to have cheap reef and trying to find the cheapest lights do you think these lights will work

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fixtures at the LFS are so expensive
I looked at home depot but don't see t5 fixtures
someone told me there is a light shop that will custom make you lights for about $120 but i don't know if they use vho I'll have to check.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i do find cheap t5 what is the best bulbs to get its only a 29 gal how many lights should i have?

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
unfortunately you will need to spend a lot on light if you want corals, almost all corals need light powered lighting, you should look into T5 HO with individual reflectors, which will cost about 200 for a basic fixture, or a LED, which will cost nothing to run saving you money in the long run, but cost about 800 for a good fixture or maybe about 150 to 250 for a DIY build

1 - 11 of 11 Posts