The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 49 gallon bowfront tank and after doing what I thought was ample research, I began to buy things for my first saltwater tank. My plan and whole reason for this tank was to eventually have a couple of maroon clowns and a few diffrent types of anenome. (bubble tip & long tentacle)

My concern now is that it seems nothing I prepared for was correct and this thing is coSting me a small fortune and I havent even added any fish. (other then a few damsels)

Here is my current tank config:

49 gallon bowfront tank
Aqua Clear 70 filter
BAK-PAK Dual Pak skimmer
hydor koralia 2 600 pgh (powerhead)
40 pounds of live sand
30 pounds of live fiji rock
36" Coralife Actinic 30 Watt bulb

I think that I have been at the mercy of the guys at the stores, when i go in. Now that my budget is gone and Im still without fish I need help! Judging by the cost of everything else Im guessing that this bulb (which says for saltwater and reef tanks) is NOT really what I need. If anyone can help me find an efficient system without causing me to get divorced it would be much apprecaited!

-NOOB

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Bubble tip anemones need a good amount of lighting, like 150w halides or T5HO's with individual reflectors and long tentacle anemones need lighting stronger than what you have on there now.. Maroon clowns' natural host are Bubble tip anemones so if you want bubble tip anemones youll need halides, which are expensive. What are your tanks dimensions?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tank dims

36" wide
12" deep
20" tall

and thanks for getting back so quikly. Im really anxious to get this thing going. But the one thing I have read thats consistant is DONT rush it.

THanks, Nick

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
No problem, i know how you feel haha. Ok so a 20 inch deep tank is good for a 150w halide. Ill look around for you but just warning you now, halides are not cheap lights.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holly shnikies... I may have to rethink this tank! or find a new wife... hmm... any other ideas or possible combonations of clowns and other anemone that require someting less expensive?

Either way I really appreciate the help.

Nick

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
You could try maroons and LTAs (long tentacle anemone) and they might host, but id reccomend getting tomato clowns or percula clowns or something like that, BTAs require too much light, LTA's do fine under a lot of lighting, i had one under PC bulbs in my biocube and it did great.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks! this give me hope... My main desire here was the maroon clown not the BTA, i just heard they kinda went hand in hand.

BTW. im enjoying looking at your tanks! :) one day Im gonna have fish in mine too!

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Haha i wish i could enjoy looking at my biocube but theres always a problem with it i hate the look of hair algae and cyano and thats why im making a 55 gallon native tank for fish, my eel and macro algae, this way no algae will grow except the beautiful algae i want to see and no protein skimmer is needed because the algae feeds off the nitrates that are in the tank! Its a perfect idea. haha. Im looking at lights for you ill send you some links when i find some. You have any sort of budget?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
without sounding crazy... I'd like to stay under $150 if possible. Im at about 1100.00 so far and I only started a few days ago. Of course I had to buy everything (tank and stand too) I am willing to switch from the BTA and maroons, to something else (another type of clown and anemone) if it will allow me to keep my present light or stay under 150.00 more. If i have to go over $150 I might as well go for what i want, with the BTA's and maroons. Just have to move the fish tank out to the dog house where my wife will be making me sleep. :(

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all your help. I think im gonna go that route... get the fish I like now then get the light and BTA in a little while.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Good choice, that also allows time for your tank to really mature and then the anemone will do better when you do add it and this gives you more time to spend on this site and learn about halides! haha. Feel free to post any questions you have here :D

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Seriously wait on the lighting for a while and wait till the cycle is complete to get your light (gives you time to save a little more money)... I would not go with PC lighting unless you like bulbs that are getting harder to find and are expensive... not to mention they don't last long. One thing I would suggest is that you try the reefcentral classified section (I really despise the site, but love the classifieds section)... if you really want to keep anenomes (and i really think that your tastes will change in the long run) you want to get at least a dual 150w metal halide setup, I just don't think you will be able to fit enough T5HO's over that tank for light loving creatures being a bowfront...

This is the best advice I can give you... buy high quality equipment first and it will save you money later.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can you copy me the link to this "classified" section? I cant seem to find it, even after trying the search.

Thanks again for all the help you and especially Reeftanker have given me. I think everybody who starts a tank like this, needs a mentor of sorts. I'll be sure to help people out later, once I know WTF im talking about.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=2
There ya go and for future refference you go to forums then scroll down to where it says selling drygoods and equipment or something like that. Good luck and take it nice and slow :)
Thanks for adding the link... and wise advice for such a young guy... slow and steady is the only way a reef tank makes it.. your patience is directly related to how successful your tank will be.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Enter of the Maroon!

After finding out it wil be a while before I can afford the proper light system I went ahead and got my little clowns! Here is a pic of my two new members to the tank.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts