The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a custome sealife pc fixture with moonlights. Ther are 2 10k 65w smart lights, and 2 act03 smartlites and 4 moonlights. I am contemplating replacing the two actinics with 50/50's. What do you think? This fixture is above a standard 4' 55gallon tank.

----Semper Fi-----

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no LFS everything is mail order. Hence my title under my name "Reefer in B.F.E" I live in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
585 Posts
LOL sorry.

If you take out the actinics you may/will (like that non-commital) have a toatlly different look. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, and if you didn't like it, you could sell them on e-bay....It's tough when you don't have something to compair it to. There was a thread a little while ago showing different MH lighting (6.5K, 10K, 20K) but I can't remember any using PC's.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok it was just a thought. Was trying to increase the daylight in my tank. In case i get into the medium to hard care type corals.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Travis...before you invest more money in the light system,,,really think about it.

If you even suspect you want to do hard corals, clams, etc...you will want to up grad to MH lights.

So, since you are in BFE, (lol, sorry, couldn't resist) take time to look around the board...look at pictures of what others have done with their tanks. Then if you decide you want to do that, then you should look into up grading or adding MH. But if you have a CSL light system now, you would end up having to change the entire light system to be able to fit MH lamps.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
if you are really going to start thinking about stonies then you will really need to bump up the lighting a lot. either mh's or some heavy VHO/PC lighting. i suggest VHO over PC. my preference. with the stonies you want to get close to 10w a gallon. put at least 7w a gallon.

G~

·
Registered
645 Posts
Geoff, Are you saying 10w per gallon w/ MH's or VHO's or a combo? Right now I am burning 4w per gallon XM HQI's. Do the HQI's make a difference(less GPH, more intensity)? I was led to believe so.

Travis, you need to first determine what you want to keep (long term) If you wants SPS or clams then MH's will be required. If not then either VHO's or PC's are the route to go. It all depends on how technical and spendy you want to be involved int his hobby. VHO and PC's IMO are every similar. However, ther are pro's and cons to be weigh...

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Well I am not going to rant, re: PC vs VHO. I have a preference but the fact is you have the PC setup already, the cheapest thing at this point would be to buy a couple 50/50 and see if you like the effect. I don't know what Kelvin rating the bulb maker assigns to the 50/50 but IMO its pretty much meaning less. What you need to look at is the spectral peaks. the 50/50 will prolly not be much different than the 10K, but then it depends on how your eye percieves it. For a good, bright daylight look you should have went with 6500K and actinic. But anyway if you get a couple 50/50 bulbs, worst case you wont like it and have expensive spare bulbs, but spares are good and cost is one of my gripes with PC but oh well.
Having said all that, I wholeheartedly agree, if its more light intensity you are looking for , to grow light lovers, don't waste more $ , get Metal Halide , yes you may keep some SPS under PC, maybe even a derasa clam for a while, but they need light, a lot, and by the time you add in more PC bulbs you can have 250watt or better MH and be done with it. I have archived a ton of retro and DIY MH info, its not that expensive. HTH

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Toadfish said:
Geoff, Are you saying 10w per gallon w/ MH's or VHO's or a combo? Right now I am burning 4w per gallon XM HQI's. Do the HQI's make a difference(less GPH, more intensity)? I was led to believe so.
i am talking total watts per gallon. HQI produce more UV light than the other mh bulbs. this is due to the fact that they do not have an extra glass sheild around the bulb. so there is also a little more light in general because of this. now this can all be neglected if you put a sheild up under the bulb. you then run the risk of a greater chance of breakage. these bulbs should be placed higher from the water than the "normal" kind.

G~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts