The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im leaving July 24th for Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach SC. I'll be gone a week. My question is, what is the least amount of time per day i could have my tank lights on for that week? Im going to have them on timers, but I'd like to leave them on as little as possible. The reason is, i want minimal evaporation, and minimal heat while im gone. I dont have anyone that knows about SW tanks to watch them while im gone, so my mom is going to come by at the middle of the week to feed a little and top off the tanks if need be.

Im just affraid that if the a\c goes out or something, and the lights are left on all day, my tanks will cook.

The lights are Dual 96 watt pc's on the 46 gal, and one 96 watt pc on the 16 gal.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
307 Posts
stang5_o2002 said:
i want minimal evaporation
i wouldnt worry about evap....imo...its a non-issue for ONLY A WEEK

stang5_o2002 said:
and minimal heat while im gone.
why do you think with you not being around is going to make the heat rise in your tank? is there something special or manual you do during the week?

stang5_o2002 said:
I dont have anyone that knows about SW tanks to watch them while im gone
tons of professional onsite aquarium services in the YellowPages .....EVEN YOUR LOCAL FISH STORES (LFS) MAY HAVE A SERVICE SINCE MOST HAVE A COMMERCIAL ONSITE SERVICE FOR DOCTORS OFFICES THAT HAVE AQUARIUMS....but this all comes at a price (prob like $50 - $100+) .... but probably worth it if you are that concerned.

stang5_o2002 said:
Im just affraid that if the a\c goes out or something, and the lights are left on all day, my tanks will cook.
the timers I have are DIGITAL programmable timers from HomeDepot or Lowes and they have little rechargable batteries built in them that if the AC goes out the digital program schedule goes to battery-backup and the timers never loose even 1-second of the time of day -or- its programmed schedule

IMO, you can cut your lighting down to 4-6hrs but if it were me I'd put everything on a series of digital-timers I just showed you above....leave everything the same.... and go enjoy your vacation...and hire a professional from yoru local YellowPages to come in (if you are still that concerned)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
It depends on what you have in the tank.But I'd leave it the same(less stress on fish) since you have Mom topping off.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I agree. Just put it on timmer and enjoy. My tank was fine alone for 5 days but I don't get rapid evap so that wasn't an issue. Besides if mom is toping off it will be fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I was just making sure. As far as heat goes, I just figured If we had some really hot days, id be here to turn up the a/c. I have a lot of corals in both tanks, and i just dont wanna fry anything :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts