The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm fairly new to the aquaria life, but my cousin is really big into it, and being handicapped I'm usually helping him out with this, that or the other, but he's slow about getting his stocked up, and I've got a 10g that I've decided to put a mantis shrimp in, probably peacock. Was hesitant to have just one thing in a tank, even for such a small one, and a buddy who has a lot of coral said he'd willingly give me a few pieces of some of his coral. I know a mantis doesn't have any lighting requirements, but coral do, and I haven't a clue what they'd be. The coral he's got, what I would be starting out with, are Green Star Polyps, Leather Toadstools, Yellow Polyps, and Colt Coral (Kenya Trees). If I have any room later I may add to them from the local fish store, but for now that's what I'd be trying to cultivate. So, if there's any tips or recommendations any of you guys could give me to make sure they stay lively and vibrant, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Any T5 light or LED light should be fine . Corals also need high water quality. You will want to start with ro/di water to add your salt to and for top off water. Also be aware that the mantis you are considering could potentially crack a 10 gallon tank. Also, welcome to TRT!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Honestly I wasn't sure if I was posting in the correct coral section or not haha. Yeah, as far as water, he's got a 125g at his house, it's been empty for almost a year but just got the water checked at the local store, and they said it's golden. He's also got a huge bucket of aquarium salt, and since the tank was that big, he broke down and bought a triple filter reverse osmosis thing. Anyways, since his is already cycled up, perfect levels of everything, as big as it is and not being used, he's just going to let me dip out ten gallons and put in mine. So the water part I'm good on, just need to get a filter, heater, some bulbs, sand and about ten pounds of live rock. And the shrimp. lol. Which, speaking of them cracking glass, the tank I have is the plastic kind, I've been told it's a little more resistant to their brutal attacks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts