The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!! Im super new to saltwater as well as TRT. So just to introduce myself my name is Nick and i have a 29 gal 18"deep planted freshwater with 2 goldfish and an algae eater. Im getting ready to convert it to a saltwater. i have already got a protein skimmer and a wet/dry and some pumps. I just need some lighting and a new home for the goldfish.
My main question is lighting...After a bunch of research and talking with people I work with that have tanks and the guys from BioReef and Coral Logic I have come to the conclusion that I am gonna go with T5 HO. I am looking at a few 4 bulb setups...WavePoint T5 HO 24" and the Current Nova Extreme T5HO 24". Both are in my price range and from what I have been told will do softies very well and can sustain a clam if I want. Anyone have any opinions on these lights or anything like it? I dont want to spend alot but I want a good product and I know im going to do softies but I'm not sure what the future will hold (I do like clams)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lighting

You lightning will depend on a lot of factors such as what are you planning keep, how deep is the tank and what you are intending place this lamp on, and of course your budget are just a few key factors. Being new to SW as you I would suggest maybe getting a complete tank setup to start you off like a biocube 24 gallon so you can get you feet wet so to speak before possibly making a costly mistake. When I was new to SW I made a lot those "costly mistakes myself". I think if you want enjoyment from the hobby and want to keep those clam and softies you like, a biocube could be a great first time tank. They come with the light either the PC/VHO or Metal Halide. They have your filtration and overflow built in as well. This way you can learn as you go and not have to buy everything separately which I did and not only did I spend a lot of money, but lost a lot of corals in process.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
If you have bought some item like your protein skimmer and wet/dry can you return those? If so do so and get the cube. If not maybe could you put those items aside until you learn more about the hobby with a biocube type setup?<o:p></o:p>
If I misunderstand you please post back so I can further help you out. As a fellow reefer, I get joy out of seeing a first timer succeed. Just remember if you rush you fail.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
390 Posts
Honestly with a 4 bulb setup like the nova you should be able to grow lps and some sps to. I would look into a 6 bulb setup so your not upgrading in the near future. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...but Im gonna keep what I have now....I have the tank and paid almost nothing for the pump..etc.
As for the lighting, i just kinda stumbled on 4 bulb setups, do they make 6 in 24"?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The problem with going more bulbs is the fixtures get wider. A 29g tank is only 12in wide. I would go with the Current fixture 4 bulb over the Wavepoint.

The Wavepoint has a single plug. The white and actinic bulbs come on and go off together. The moonlights are also on the same plug. If it's plugged in, the moonlights are on. You then have to use the switches to turn the lights on and off. If you put it on a timer to control the lights, the moonlights will be off when the lights are off. It's a very poorly thought out wiring setup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nick , Hey there buddy, do yourself a favor and get!

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...xtures-AquaticLife-AK01035-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

I have the 48" version and they come with built in timers and single power cords. Very easy to use fixtures and now for the best part; they put off exceptional light, thay have the best LED's I have seen and the stock bulbs are very decent. I will be adding one pure actinic plus instead of a 10k daylight to mix the spectrum.Enjoy and welcome to the hobby my friend kick your feet up and prepare to get sucked in.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind. A typical 29g tank is 30 inches long. A 24" fixture won't work unless you hang it over the tank. This will leave you some dark areas on the sides. A 30in fixture will be necessary to light the tank properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS GUYS!!! my tank is 24" long. I did however go with the 4 bulb T5HO Current Nova. I paid 167 on big al's.
As for the aquatic life....other than the timer and the LED's, is there much of a difference? It is only about $70 more than the Current. I have not received the fixture yet so if it is ALOT better I could send it back and get the aquatic life.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
24" wide x 18" high is roughly a 20 gallon aquarium assuming it's 12in front to rear.

The integrated timers and leds would not warrant the extra $70 in my opinion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a 29 gal bowfront. I dont think the LED's and timer are worth 70 bucks either. I already have a timer anyway. I would think about paying the extra if the lights were ALOT better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts