The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What kind of light would be good for some soft corals like zoas and/or mushrooms in a 15g? It's one of the taller tanks (including an image) so i'm not sure if that makes a difference when deciding. I already have a blue LED strip in there and a white LED in there ($10 thing i got on amazon) but would probably need something a little better i imagine for the corals. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
you can make your own. for a complete DIY setup it would be about 50-100$ for 2 heatsinks with 10-20 led's. you can use the 1.4inx12in heatsinks, 1 or 2 of em just depending on what you prefer. ive got a 10g that's 20x10x12high (im guessing yours has the same footprint only taller?) and im going to use a single heatsink with 12 on it I think. depends on what I can actually fit on there. 3 royal blue, 2 blue, 2 lime, 2 hyper violet & 2 violet, that's right no whites :) or if I do it will be just one.
ill get the heatsink from rapidled as well as the driver and some led's, they don't have all the colors I listed tho. bridgelux offers a few that rapidled doesn't.

you can check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/what-color-leds-do-you-use-221464.html

I made the led setup in the pic and thread in my signature for 160$, it has 30 led's and I have seen excellent response from the zoa's and paly's I have as well as my muchrooms.. my palys have doubled in head count in about 3 months and continue to spawn.

I have heard good things about several fixtures bought from ebay and other places alike. you do wanna make sure the fixture you buy has 3w led's as 1 watt will not penetrate the water very well.

water depth absolutely affects light, the deeper you go the more watt's you need but 3w generally fares well for 18in of water, if you go any deeped I would suggest using lens's to concentrate the light in a certain area. but with your 15g you shouldn't have a problem.

I also used china led's which cost a fraction of one of the popular led manufacturers, cree. I haven't had a problem yet.

I like the DIY fixture for customization, my fixture will cover my 55gal great with both heatsinks over it and incase of emergency I can put a 2nd tank next to my 55 and position one heatsink over the other tank without completely putting my 55 in the dark, im currently doing this as well until I can make another setup for my 10g.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can make your own. for a complete DIY setup it would be about 50-100$ for 2 heatsinks with 10-20 led's. you can use the 1.4inx12in heatsinks, 1 or 2 of em just depending on what you prefer. ive got a 10g that's 20x10x12high (im guessing yours has the same footprint only taller?) and im going to use a single heatsink with 12 on it I think. depends on what I can actually fit on there. 3 royal blue, 2 blue, 2 lime, 2 hyper violet & 2 violet, that's right no whites :) or if I do it will be just one.
ill get the heatsink from rapidled as well as the driver and some led's, they don't have all the colors I listed tho. bridgelux offers a few that rapidled doesn't.

you can check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/what-color-leds-do-you-use-221464.html

I made the led setup in the pic and thread in my signature for 160$, it has 30 led's and I have seen excellent response from the zoa's and paly's I have as well as my muchrooms.. my palys have doubled in head count in about 3 months and continue to spawn.

I have heard good things about several fixtures bought from ebay and other places alike. you do wanna make sure the fixture you buy has 3w led's as 1 watt will not penetrate the water very well.

water depth absolutely affects light, the deeper you go the more watt's you need but 3w generally fares well for 18in of water, if you go any deeped I would suggest using lens's to concentrate the light in a certain area. but with your 15g you shouldn't have a problem.

I also used china led's which cost a fraction of one of the popular led manufacturers, cree. I haven't had a problem yet.

I like the DIY fixture for customization, my fixture will cover my 55gal great with both heatsinks over it and incase of emergency I can put a 2nd tank next to my 55 and position one heatsink over the other tank without completely putting my 55 in the dark, im currently doing this as well until I can make another setup for my 10g.
Thanks PhaneSoul... I was a little hesitant on a DIY thing being new to this, but I guess it's not as bad as i think it is, I just need to find the right fixture. i'll check it out and see what i can come up with. good to know on the 3 watts too, I wasn't aware of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts